Find
Notify
Tools

Help identify this book
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
I hope this is the right section to post this in.

A long, long time ago one of the books I read as a kid stuck in my mind and I don't remember the title.
It (to the best of my failing knowledge) was set somewhere around the early 1900's about 2 brothers (mid to late teens) whose father was a Lawyer or Judge and it may have been set in Alaska or Canada (I remember wilderness and cold, snow, bears, wolves etc.)and the 2 brothers went out into the wilds and stayed (I believe in a cabin)and met with all kinds of varmints both 2 and 4 legged, seems that one of the 2 legged kind might have been a convict. I'm sorry that is all I remember and would appreciate any help on this. I would like to find this book again for my Son to read.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not run into any four-legged convicts lately. My first guess would be Jack London. It's not Hemingway.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_London

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I've checked out a lot of London's stuff and none of it looks familiar. Anybody else have an idea.

Steve E.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the name of ANY character in the story it's an easy literary search. American author? Doesn't sound like Hemingway, "Nick Adams" stuff. Most 19th Cent. American writers focus on the West, not the North. (Except for Jack London.)

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Wish I could remember any of their names but the 40 yrs that have slid by since I read it have not helped any.
I do remember it was up North as in the deep North of the US or in Canada or Alaska but I'm thinking it might not be Alaska.
It's like I want to knock myself on the head and scream at my brain 'Come on I know it was in there 40 years ago.'

Steve E.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reconstruct an episode in the story, some event that formed the narrative, like a death, starving, finding food, a hunt. If you can provide some details, often it's possible to match those with a plot synopsis. Plot summaries are available online.

If it's Canadian literature, I'm dead in the water. I can do English and American, some French. But Canadian authors are sort of side tracked with respect to finding threads of a work.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Why were they staying in the cabin? Dad make them do it, they dare each other, stipulation of granpas will, etc? Might help narrow it down.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
OXO

I remember them having a shoot out with some bad guy but that is covered in untold thousands of books.

I think they were staying in the cabin because they wanted to, may have been when they took time off from school or may have been after they got out of school.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be one of those "dime store novels" lost in the trenches of time. They're available for a while and then go out of print.

Lots of Jack London and Hemingway stuff worth looking at, and available.

One of Us
Picture of axle
posted Hide Post
This may be a long shot out of left field but, how about " the curse of the viking grave " by Farley Mowat ?

meat is murder..... tasty,tasty murder

Posts: 79 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axle that was the one I was thinking about too....so not such a long shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Two savages if you know?

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the 2 recommendations about the book, I'll check those out.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Do you remember the names of any of the characters?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for trying but I don't remember anything other than already listed. I think I'm S.O.L. unless someone who has read the same book reads this post.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran