Find
Notify
Tools

What my day has been like
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Had a double lumbar fusion Monday, constipation with the Norco 10s, and such swelling that I had to go to the E.R. today for X-rays to rule out an obstruction. None to be found, so on to the industrial strength bowel cleanser, magnesium citrate, as in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMsPNI6EZE

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope the Drs. can get you some relief.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you opt for the lemon-lime? Mighty efficient.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
Mag citrate is some good stuff. It ought to give you some relief, but while you're on the hydrocodone, you also should be on a stool softener or you'll plug right back up.
Colace or the generic name docusate sodium is over the counter and usually works great. 100mg twice a day is a good place to start. If you're too loose on that, back off to once a day.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hope you are better soon!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I've cut way back on the Norco hoping to allow peristalsis to resume normally but with not much effect other than a quantum increase in back pain.
Tin can: I had the lemon lime last night with only liquid relief so this morning it's the bottle of berry flavored mag cit with a Gatorade back to help fight the dehydration!
Ain't it fun?
Frowner

– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys. I've cut way back on the Norco hoping to allow peristalsis to resume normally but with not much effect other than a quantum increase in back pain.
Tin can: I had the lemon lime last night with only liquid relief so this morning it's the bottle of berry flavored mag cit with a Gatorade back to help fight the dehydration!
Ain't it fun?

Done it a few times, that berry'll take the enamel off your teeth- stay close to the bowl, my brotherSmiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
TC: Advise taken to heart!

beer

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Bill

Get well soon buddy I thought I had it bad with my ankle.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The upper classmen liked to raid the under classmen's care packages. As in confiscate them.
One of my room mates used to get a care package once a week and the upper classmen grabbed the package.
My room mate had spoken to his father about the problem. Dad had the same problem while at school. He soaked the labels off the bottles of citrate of mag., mixed a half dozen bottles in with the packages of cookies and candy.
Sure 'nuff the upper classmen took the package.
They were mighty sick puppies that evening.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Now, Jim, that was justice served with some fizz!

Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you are feeling better, and soon. Tell them to give you a jug of the dry mix they give you the night before a colonoscopy. A glass of that stuff sure makes things move thru fast.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rich, not much relief yet, unfortunately. Back to the doctor today. I gotta get some sleep. Boy it sucks not being 35 ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bette Davis said "getting old ain't for sissies..."

My wise old Grandfather once told me, "when you turn sixty, half the stuff you got doesn't work anymore, and the other half hurts most of the time..."

They were both right.

hope you are feeling better.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, when Lora and I married in 1992, I was 42 and she was 30. Not too long after our wedding, one morning when it was time to get up and head to our respective jobs.

As I swung my feet off the bed and set up, I groaned and made some comment about something hurting. Lora got all concerned and wanted to know if she needed to take me to the Dr. or the Emergency Room.

I told her to set down on the bed for a minute so I could explain things. I told her that in the future, if I ever got up of a morning and something on my body was not sore or hurting, don't waste time calling the Dr., call the funeral home because I have died.

From my experience after a certain point in time, it all hurts and you just learn to deal with it, although pills and booze can help if you don't get silly with it.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep! Getting "Older" ain't for Wusses!
35? Hell I can't even remember 35! animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I remember 35, I was still acquiring dents and dings. Should have made a list to remind myself how I got this or that "Damn that Smarts"

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should have made a list to remind myself how I got this or that "Damn that Smarts"

I have always been partial to, "That is gonna leave a mark" concept.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hah! Yep, I have a few "marks" acquired over the course of about 59 years ...

Big Grin

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Once you you get in around the sixty mark, you must know that you are a prime candidate for "AIDS." Yup! Walking aids, hearing aids,... Big Grin
Most of my marks are badges of stupidity, tangling with too legged jackals, or grumpy four legged creatures. My best though is from running into a steel plate. I had an idea that head wounds bled, but did not expect the gusher that day. Then being told to sit still while the Doctor searched for the blood vessels in order to clamp them. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doug, mon frere!

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Merci beaucoup mon ami. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell them to give you a jug of the dry mix they give you the night before a colonoscopy. A glass of that stuff sure makes things move thru fast.

Tastes like dish water but your right! It speeds things up considerable!

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote