New
Find
Notify
Tools

J.D. Salinger Is Gone --
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just for the record, lest it pass unnoticed.

We miss him already.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't, the last thing he published was in 1965, so, in effect, he's been missing for 40 plus years. I've read thousands of books and CITR ranked near the bottom as one of the worst I ever read.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I don't, the last thing he published was in 1965, so, in effect, he's been missing for 40 plus years. I've read thousands of books and CITR ranked near the bottom as one of the worst I ever read.

Some considerable speculation that his estate will contain a trove of un-published MSS.

I'm not going to make any observations about your putative "literary acumen."

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's fine, because I find that most people who teach can't remove themselves from their pendantic pedestals and try to understand that much of their subject matter is like masturbation, they may enjoy it, but most other's don't give a damn. In short, I'll read what I find interesting and some literary explorations of the psyche of a disturbed teen's fantasies are not on my "interesting" list, if it is on yours, chacun a son gout.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I had to read the book back in school, CITR, but dang it has been so long ago I couldn't tell you what it was about,,,,, I can almost quote verse and line in Rouarks, Hemmingway and Capstick though,,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

That's fine, because I find that most people who teach can't remove themselves from their pendantic pedestals and try to understand that much of their subject matter is like masturbation, they may enjoy it, but most other's don't give a damn. In short, I'll read what I find interesting and some literary explorations of the psyche of a disturbed teen's fantasies are not on my "interesting" list, if it is on yours, chacun a son gout.

I don't teach.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Not what you said when you went by WmSLadd....

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:

I don't teach.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

dan77 has outed Hugs...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Hugs" has the same ISP as Homebrewer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After a small amount of research, I found that Salinger was an interpreter in the European Theater, WW2, and saw the worst of it; hospitalized for combat fatigue. Back then, his treatment may have consisted of a sedative which would have knocked him out for 24 hours, then a shower, a fresh uniform, a pep talk, and back into action. I wonder if his condition, that today would be stress disorder, wasn't pivotal in his reclusiveness.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if his condition, that today would be stress disorder, wasn't pivotal in his reclusiveness.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which is basically the 1980 DSM-IV term for "battle fatigue."

An anxiety disorder characterized by social isolation stemming largely from the Veteran being "hypervigilant" (guarded, anxious), and for a host of reasons an inability to form normal relationships.

Yeah, that makes sense.