Find
Notify
Tools

Ethanol and small engines warning!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
Just thought that I would let you guys know that you are NOT supposed to use ethanol-gas mixtures in a small engine. I just blew up my ole Still 044 today just because of the ethanol. The gas companies should print a sticker and put it on the pumps to warn us; or just buy me a new Stihl.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where do you get gasoline that doesn't have 10% ethanol?

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, here is a pretty good list of stations that carry real gas:

http://pure-gas.org/

Louis,

Sorry to hear about your saw! What a pain!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
Just thought that I would let you guys know that you are NOT supposed to use ethanol-gas mixtures in a small engine. I just blew up my ole Still 044 today just because of the ethanol. The gas companies should print a sticker and put it on the pumps to warn us; or just but me a new Stihl.

God Bless, Louis

I don't like ethanol gas either but from the Stihl site:

quote:

Frequently Asked Questions

Check out some of our most commonly asked questions about products, Dealer information and the STIHL company. Don’t see your question listed? Use our contact form for a quick answer, or visit your local STIHL Dealer.

What is the correct oil mix for my older STIHL chain saw, trimmer, or blower?

STIHL recommends a 50:1 mix when using STIHL branded two cycle mix oil (2.6 oz. of STIHL branded oil for 1 gallon of gasoline) on all of our gasoline powered equipment.

Will a 10% (E10) blend of ethanol hurt my gas-powered STIHL product?

All STIHL gasoline powered engines can be used with up to a 10% (E10) blend of ethanol in the gasoline/engine oil mix.
We also recommend that if a unit will be left unused for more than 30 days that it be stored "dry." This means emptying the fuel tank and then restarting and letting the unit run until all the fuel is consumed and the engine stops. For maximum performance and engine life expectancy we also recommend using STIHL Ultra 2-cycle engine oil with built in stabilizer.

The main problems with ethanol gas is that it is hygoscopic and deteriorates rapidly. It will definitely gum up your carburetors if left in the engine for any extended period. Happens all the time with my chainsaws. The cure is simple, empty tank and run them until they run out of gas when storing for a few days or more. It's a real mechanic's helper when left in ATVs for long.

Personally I run a 25:1 mixture of non-Stihl 2 cycle oil in mine and have never lost an engine but then, I sure don't use them all day long either.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Progressive Farmer had a writeup about all the small engines (especailly weedeaters and chainsaws) that are suddenly having engine trouble. My saw had never had any ethanol in it until about 30 minutes before it blew. I had run it for a day and until dinner the next day, ran out of gas mix and the local gas station I was near had the 10% ethanol. Put Stihl oil in the mix and shortly it quit idling. Id choke it and it would start but after a few times and with the saw wide open cutting an oak lap I felt it come apart. The rings are broke and the piston cracked in a couple places. Maybe it was not the ethanol but just its time. I've talked to several people around here and they all said "was there ethanol in the gas" so I figure its a reoccuring problem.

I have had two people tell me that they run ethanol gas mix in their saws all the time. I'm going to rebuild mine but I personally wont use ethanol gas any more.

I've ran chainsaws alot of years logging and such and had never had a problem. I do like Stihl oil the best.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I burn Premium in all my 2 cycle engines as it is alcohol free around here.Needless to say ethanol gas plays havoc on Fuel pumps and seals in your car or Truck motor.It is probably the largest rip off going on right now.You get 10% worse gas milage using it.State and Federal are subsidizing its manufacture and sales and The Greenies actually admit it pollutes more than 100% gas.Our GOV at work!!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid a small fortune keeping an old truck drivable due to leaving that gas in the truck for periods of about two months at a time.

Don't know what I'll encounter next time I try to start 'er.

quote:
The Greenies actually admit it pollutes more than 100% gas.Our GOV at work!!!!

-it's the subsidies for growing the corn that keeps it alive. there was 90% more corn grown in the county my mother's farm is in the first few years the funding was in place.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To repeat, I don't like it, but, in fact, 10% ethanol gets about 3% less mileage per gallon than regular gas, not 10%.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After gasohol ruined the carb on my leaf blower I started using STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment. I have used it in 3 chain saws and a weed eater so far and haven't had any more problems.

Posts: 123 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
To repeat, I don't like it, but, in fact, 10% ethanol gets about 3% less mileage per gallon than regular gas, not 10%.

Results may vary.I tested it from a fill up of 87 Octane ethanol based ,vs 93 Octane Non ethanol and my mileage was 10% better.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're comparing apples and oranges. 10% gasohol which is used instead of and normally compared to regular gas has about 3% less energy than regular but premium has about 5% HIGHER btu content than regular gas, so your 10% difference is approx. correct. prem. vs. E10, but not many people and even fewer cars use/require premium.

Energy content (BTU/gallon)
Ethanol 84,600
Regular gas 125,000
Premium gas 131,200
E10 120,900
E85 90,660

BTU: British Thermal Unit

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're comparing apples and oranges. 10% gasohol which is used instead of and normally compared to regular gas has about 3% less energy than regular but premium has about 5% HIGHER btu content than regular gas, so your 10% difference is approx. correct. prem. vs. E10, but not many people and even fewer cars use/require premium.

Energy content (BTU/gallon)
Ethanol 84,600
Regular gas 125,000
Premium gas 131,200
E10 120,900
E85 90,660

BTU: British Thermal Unit

That is all that is available in Non ethanol to me ,so that is what I made my comparison with .The point is this stuff is bad for your engine and as a Taxpayer we are subsidizing something that is going to cost us more down the road.Pretty simple economics at issue here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The point is this stuff is bad for your engine and as a Taxpayer we are subsidizing something that is going to cost us more down the road.Pretty simple economics at issue here.

Not anymore. Subsidy is gone, now we've got to work on the 15 billion gals of federally mandated ethanol by 2015.

xxxxxxxxxx

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can believe that, but an issue is that there is no one particular "blend". According to the EPA link that I found written back in 2004 there were between 11 and 45 different "blends".

I tend to agree with 10% for "oxygenated" fuel. I live about 300 miles from Chicago and when I take a vehicle up there, which takes most of a tank of gas, then drive around and fill up and come back home I generally get about a 10% hit on gas mileage on the return trip.

Now understand there is more stuff than ethanol that is put into reformulated gas, and the true point IMHO is that most people seem to agree that gas with alcohol in it has a lot of detriments, just which ones and how much.

On top of this, what cracks me up is that for EPA mileage ratings they still use pure gasoline. Why not have dual ratings for straight gas and say, E85.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The point is this stuff is bad for your engine and as a Taxpayer we are subsidizing something that is going to cost us more down the road.Pretty simple economics at issue here.

Not anymore. Subsidy is gone, now we've got to work on the 15 billion gals of federally mandated ethanol by 2015.

It is in Wisconsin.Show me where it says the Feds do not subsidize.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about small 4 stroke engines such as used in ATV's, lawn mowers. Any problems there. I have a Polaris Ranger and have been using ethanol gas in it for a few years. No problems yet.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
What about small 4 stroke engines such as used in ATV's, lawn mowers. Any problems there. I have a Polaris Ranger and have been using ethanol gas in it for a few years. No problems yet.

Larry Sellers

A friend has a Small engine repair shop.He does a good business replacing fuel pumps in lawn tractors and lawn mowers etc. I do not know about ATV`s.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I too think the subsidies are still in place. They were to be scrapped but IIRC the House backed off to get the some other thing approved.

10% or less shouldn't have crapped out your saw; certainly not that fast. It was either E-85 (15%) or something similar. Sometimes wholesalers will dilute a load of 10% with some E-85 they can't otherwise sell before it deteriorates. Imagine that; a crooked wholesaler?!?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take it from someone who has burned thousands of gallons of gas through chainsaws.

If you can get Non-ethanol gas you can get by with unleaded regular. We have 3 stations here now that sell the good stuff!

Ethanol garbage gas, you need to burn the highest octane you can get.

As for oil mix, GO Synthetic! Amsoil still makes it for gas mixes. I've use it ever since it came out, Saw's love it! 100:1 mix!

What Stihl and other saw makers "won't" tell you is Too much oil in your mix is the same as NO oil in you mix.

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
quote:
quote:

It is in Wisconsin.Show me where it says the Feds do not subsidize.

Do try to keep up. It's amazing how ignorant some people can be when a 10 second google search would prove them wrong......

quote:

NYTimes.com
Business Day

After Three Decades, Tax Credit for Ethanol Expires

By ROBERT PEAR
Published: January 1, 2012

WASHINGTON — A federal tax credit for ethanol expired on Saturday, ending an era in which the federal government provided more than $20 billion in subsidies for use of the product.

The tax break, created more than 30 years ago, had long seemed untouchable. But in the last year, during which Congress was preoccupied with deficits and debt, it became a symbol of corporate welfare. Fiscal conservatives joined liberal environmentalists to kill it, with help from a diverse coalition of outside groups.

In the United States, most ethanol is produced from corn. The demise of the subsidy is all the more remarkable because it comes at the peak of the political season in Iowa, where corn is king.

“We are in a fairly prosperous period for agriculture,” said Dean C. Taylor, a former president of the Iowa Corn Growers Association. “Agriculture has not been as much of a touchstone for presidential candidates this time around.”

Mr. Taylor, who grows corn and soybeans in Prairie City, Iowa, east of Des Moines, said in an interview that the loss of the tax credit “will reduce the profit margin for a lot of people in the ethanol business.” But, he added, “It won’t be fatal as long as the demand for ethanol and gasoline remains strong.”

Nearly 40 percent of the United States corn crop goes to ethanol and byproducts, including animal feed.

The Government Accountability Office, an investigative arm of Congress, said, “The increasing demand for corn for ethanol production has contributed to higher corn prices.”

The higher prices have “created additional income for corn producers” but also appear to have increased costs to meat and poultry producers, big food companies, grocery shoppers and federal food programs, the Government Accountability Office said.

The tax credit, which cost the government nearly $6 billion in 2011, went to gasoline refiners that mixed ethanol with gasoline. The government has promoted ethanol and other biofuels as a way to reduce dependence on imported oil.

Michal L. Rosenoer, a policy analyst with the environmental group Friends of the Earth, said the end of the tax credit showed that “ethanol is no longer a sacred cow.”

“The end of this giant subsidy is a win for taxpayers, the environment and people struggling to put food on the table,” Ms. Rosenoer said. “Production of ethanol, with its use of pesticides and fertilizer and heavy industrial machinery, causes soil erosion and air and water pollution. And it means that less land is available for growing food, so food prices go up.”

Ethanol proponents eventually accepted expiration of the tax credit without putting up a big fight.

“We may be the only industry in U.S. history that voluntarily let a subsidy expire,” said Matthew A. Hartwig, a spokesman for the Renewable Fuels Association, a trade group for ethanol producers. “The marketplace has evolved. The tax incentive is less necessary now than it was just two years ago. Ethanol is 10 percent of the nation’s gasoline supply.”

In response to a question about how the loss of the subsidy might affect prices and supply, Mr. Hartwig said: “We don’t expect the price of corn to fall or rise just because the tax incentive goes away. We will produce the same amount of ethanol in 2012 as in 2011, or more.”

Representative Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona, said, “With record deficits and a ballooning national debt, it was ludicrous to expect taxpayers to pay billions to prop up a mature industry that should be able to fend for itself.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, said the ethanol industry had enjoyed “a trifecta, a triple crown” of federal support. Federal law requires that certain minimum amounts of renewable fuels like ethanol be blended into gasoline. Refiners received the tax credit for doing so. And the government imposed a tariff on imported ethanol, protecting the domestic industry.

The tariff, like the tax credit, expired Saturday. But the requirement to use increasing amounts of ethanol in gasoline continues.

Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa, a leading advocate for ethanol, said the use of ethanol had reduced retail gasoline prices and America’s reliance on foreign oil.

As Congress begins work on a new farm bill, ethanol companies and gasoline station owners want to expand a federal program that helps pay for pumps and other equipment needed to dispense gas with higher concentrations of ethanol.

Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona, denounced the idea. “Not content with government support to subsidize ethanol, protect it from competition or require its use, lobbyists now want taxpayers to pay for the construction of pumps and holding tanks at retail gas stations,” he said.

Mr. Hartwig of the Renewable Fuels Association said that such spending was “a wise investment for the government” to help meet the expected demand for higher ethanol blends.

Marlo Lewis Jr., a senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a public policy group that advocates free market principles, was active in the coalition opposed to the tax subsidy.

“Savvy people told me that this was a quixotic endeavor, that we would never see the end of the ethanol tax credit,” Mr. Lewis said. “But we pulled it off. Congress concluded that this was a special-interest giveaway the country could no longer afford.”

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers

Larry:

The problem is not USING E10 gasohol, but letting it sit in your carbs or injectors. Because the ethanol attracts water and because it deteriorates much faster than regular gasoline, it will really gum up your carbs in a hurry IF you don't use the vehicle often. If you use them all the time there won't be any problem, but most people don't do this with ATVs or the dreaded lawnmowers. If you don't have access to non-ethanol gas, then the only real solution is to either use one of the fuel stabilizers (easiest by far) or drain the tank and run it until the engine quits when you're going to store them for a while. BTW this "gasahol" effect won't just happen overnight or with any one use, it takes a while to build up or screw up the needle valves/seals/o rings.

BTW if you're going to use up a tank or two in a short period of time, then you really don't have to use the stabilizers, just use them when you're going to let the small engine sit for a while but you have to get them mixed into the fuel in the lines, which means you can't just pour it in the tank when you're through but need to run it long enough for the stabilized mixture to get into the lines and carbs or injectors. My WAG would be that letting them sit without use for much over a couple of weeks would be a time to use the fuel stabilizer.

NOW if we can get rid of the stupid requirement the Feds have in place (Energy Independence and Fuel Act, 2007 put in place by Bush and Republicans thanks to corn and ethanol lobby)then it will help. Most studies of corn ethanol suggest that it produces more green house emissions in total than just using straight gas. That's going to be a much tougher nut to crack, but they said getting rid of corn ethanol subsidy was impossible too.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2007?

Who was in charge?

Democrats ruled both the house and senate, Bush didn't have the votes to over ride any Veto's!

Level the blame where it belongs.

Get the government out and it will correct itself!

EVERYTHING!

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Democrats ruled both the house and senate, Bush didn't have the votes to over ride any Veto's!

Geesh, you're so wrong. The President VETOES, the Congress has to override it, not the other way around as you seem to think. Bush SIGNED THE BILL INSTEAD of VETOING IT. The DEMS didn't have the votes to override a veto and, in FACT, BUSH was heavily involved in pushing the use of ethanol in gas. I'm sure you haven't heard of the "ethanol diplomacy" trip Bush made to Brazil in 2007?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been rebuilding carbs on a regular push mower about every 30 days...however, putting in some 2 stroke oil helps... for whatever reason..

locally they started carrying 92 Octane non ethanol.. it has to be shipped down from WA State, so it runs about 75 cents a gallon more..

the way I look at it... thanks to environMENTALists, for a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton, I have to run the same fuel to mow my lawn, as someone would have to buy to run their Ferrari... homer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only difference I've seen using Ethanol/gasoline in all my small engines is that it leaned the mixture out and I had open up the main jet screw on carburetors that have that adjust. Mainly my lawn tractor engine and my old Allis Chalmers tractor. Other then that no problems what so ever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I've been rebuilding carbs on a regular push mower about every 30 days...however, putting in some 2 stroke oil helps... for whatever reason..

locally they started carrying 92 Octane non ethanol.. it has to be shipped down from WA State, so it runs about 75 cents a gallon more..

the way I look at it... thanks to environMENTALists, for a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton, I have to run the same fuel to mow my lawn, as someone would have to buy to run their Ferrari... homer

I'd be happy to pay another 75 cents, I'm rehabilitating an AMC 390 with 10.5:1 compression and the original Carter AFB.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14373 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actaully read the book that came with my Stihl chainsaw. Eeker It clearly states to run "midgrade" gasoline in the mix. I ran it one time with "regular" in the mix and the motor got ALOT hotter.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost forgot, now Chevron and Valero are selling diesel fuel in the Houston area that contain 5% biodiesel. So far so good in my '01 7.3 PowerStroke!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote