New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw an eagle this morning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
-southern boundary of the Great Dismal Swamp, Rt 158, Gates County, NC.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in the Catskill mtns the eagles who wintered in the south are back, looking for fish in the Delaware River..
But I saw for the first time ,I'm sure , a peregrine falcon !! Hardly ready for it ,waiting for a red light .A light colored bird , really moving, the wings had the right silhouette.But it was in amongst shopping centers ! Big Grin
Lots of food for them now as the migration of birds has begun.
The woods are waking up , keep your eyes open !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live on 14th Street in Manhattan; I've watched peregrines go after pigeons in flight around the taller buildings to be seen out our windows, and we had one that fence-sat down in the courtyard for a year or so.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Last Wednesday I drove from Denver back to my home in Montana. I saw probably 10 bald eagles along I-25 through Wyoming.

I usually make that drive every month from November through March and I always see them then. It seems like they winter there and feed off road killed deer and antelope. I even hit my brakes once as I thought one was going to fly into me.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Last Thursday I saw about 15+ in a field outside a chicken farm last week. They must have just butchered them and threw the entrails out on the field.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Always makes my day to see Bald Eagles. I see them often while fishing on Lake Shasta. A special day is when one catches his dinner right next to the boat.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a seasonal conflagration of eagles just west of here in the Lake Buchanan area + just this side of Llano there is an old dead tree that they always use a nesting area.This is on Hwy. 29 + there is a paved area off the hwy. that the hwy. dept put in just for people to stop,look,take pics. etc.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
We have a bald eagle wintering site about 30 miles east of here. The ospreys really give them the business when they try to fish some of our mountain lakes.
We had a pair of much rarer golden eagles pass over our place a week ago, and they were getting some severe attention from the neighborhood's red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks. Just love the raptors.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We now have three nesting pairs of eagles in the Pittsburgh area. This is the result of cleaning up our rivers and developing a substantial fish supply. One pair is actually in the city limits. Several peregine nests on tall buildings including one at the University of Pittsburgh. We are now the home of some very nervous pigeons!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Watched a young Bald Eagle and an Osprey in
Air to Air combat right over the road I was treveling a couple of weeks ago. Two bad ass birds.

Posts: 17 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With Quote