New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about "The Professionals" 1965 motion picture
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"The Professionals," a 1965 motion picture starring Burt Lancaster and Lee Marvin, was filmed entirely in the United States, whose desert southwest was portrayed as being north central Mexico.

Opening with the title credit was a background of an adobe brick wall of a burned out building. The wall had numerous pock marks, probably bullet marks, plus graffiti with phrases like "viva Villa," etc. This location was shown twice more as extended locations. Is the wall still standing perhaps as a tourist or scenic location?

There is a extended scene of protagonists and Mexicans during a horrendous sand storm. People wore face scarves to protect themselves. Horses and mules did not. As your best judgment, how severely were the animals eyes and respiratory tracts damaged by the effect from huge fans blowing the sand to create the storm special effect?

All of the handguns were Colts. I've observed that essentially no revolvers in motion pictures were S&W solid frame double action revolvers until the 1950s. In reality were Colt double action revolvers so dominant in the United States, again, until the 1950s?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I never saw a Smith Schofield until about 18 years ago. In the 1950's there was still a lot of Colt SAA pistols around.

Everyone is making reproduction Colt Armys and Schofields now.

Maybe the gun contractor could only get Colts.

Cabin? Don't know.

Dust on horses? Don't know.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never judge Reality by a movie. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want accurate and interesting gun movies watch some of those directed by John Milius !

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
First off, the movie release date is 1966 rather than 1965. It opened in New York on November 2, 1966. A great flick, IMO. I first watched this movie in Bangkok, Thailand in early 1967 while on my RVN tour R&R break.

As a collector of U.S. martial arms I am particularly interested in the U.S. weapons used in the flick, which is set in 1917. Every firearm I see is correct for the period.

It was filmed entirely in California, primarily Death Valley. The movie received 3 1967 Academy Award nominations.

Lee Marvin served in WWII as a Marine in the Pacific and was familiar with all the weapons. Burt Lancaster was a notorious Hollywood liberal.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Call the Mojave Desert Movie Museum it is either in on CA-395 between Ridgecrest and Bishop. Neat old western movie and sci-fi museum.

We usually stop by there on our way home from Mammoth Hot springs when we were living in Ridgecrest.

Neat place.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wall was likely a set.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Great movie + I agree that Milius is the best.I remember the last line by Lee Marvin to Ralph Bellamy, You call me a bastard sir. Well for me it was a matter of birth,but you sir are a self made man." Kinda maybe,been years since I watched it.Got the concept though if not totally verbatim.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Horses and mules can handle about any sandstorm, without damage just like most any animal, Ive been in many sandstorms, and their is a lot of sand and wind, but it doesn't sand blast you it just clogs up your ears, eyes and nose,and is generally very uncomfortable, the worst of which is in and around El Paso, Texas and the nearby sandhills and those of nearby So. New Mexico and in farm areas mostly, not to leave out South of Hobbs NM and east of the Texas border North of Pecos, Midland and Odessa..

The border area from El Paso to Brownsville has hundreds of old adobe building just like the one in the movie..but the area in question IMO was filmed in Border California or Old Mexico. Its Sonorian desert country..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote