New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little help please with PMA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't post much but lurk a lot. My wife was diagonosed with PMA ( a cousin to ALS ). Can any one tell me what we're in for ( we've been home for three weeks, very little change, she can't walk , roll over in bed or use much of her right side.). I'm really living up to my handle this time. Thanks in advance. ....lost

Posts: 25 | Location: nc | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to "google it"?

What does PMA stand for?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PMA means progressive muscular atropy, it's a lower motor neuron desise.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Try these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P...ive_muscular_atrophy

http://archneur.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/64/4/522.pdf

What did the Docs have to say?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see a bunch of doctors for different ailments- there is probably a physical therapy program to at least ease discomfort, maybe more- contact hospitals and the social workers in them, any state/county programs, health services, etc.

It's out there someplaceSmiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P M A has no cure or real treatment at this time. Physical therapy may help her hold on to what little function she has left. She is only 54 now the doc that made the diagnoses said she might live another 10 to 20 years (going slowly downhill all the time). There is a slight hope that he is wrong, another doc wants to check the test results he says the symptoms don't fit. We are praying that doc number two is right. Thanks again.....lost

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lost child
My heart breaks for you.
I can't even imagine what I would feel if I were in your place.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, that sucks. I was thinking along military lines when I saw this. In the military PMA stands for Positive Mental Attitude. I was thinking you needed a pep talk.

I hope that things work out to the good for you and your wife. My prayers for you.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote