New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood Pellet BBQ Grills
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone in the AR family use a wood pellet grill for smoking or grilling? What do you think? Any great brand out there?

Posts: 10175 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a trager and love it. We use it to smoke things, i do alot of brisket and salmon. Turn it down to 180 and smoke. We turn it up to 275 and grill, or up to 400 and do pizza or pies/cookies. We hardly use our oven inside anymore. If you get a trager spend the extra money and upgrade to s digital controller, factory comes with low, med and high. Memphis grill by heartland imo is the beat. I have installed for customers. Lousiana makes a nice one as well. I go thru about 3 bags of pellets compared to one propane bottle on old gas grill. I have used the cheap pellets used for heating house and could not tell difference. If you love to grill and smoke you will love this thing. All of your burgers will have a pink smoke ring. Man making me hungry.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Costco had one a while back, not sure of the brand.
They just aren't my thing

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those pellets taste terrible.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has a Traeger and it is EASY to use

I have a Big Green Egg and it takes a little more effort but the food tastes better on the BGE in my opinion and you can use it as a grill as well.

The Traeger folks say you can grill on a Traeger but I like to get a good sear on my steak and I can get the BGE to over 900 degrees and the steaks are amazing

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drum, you are correct on the trager. I put a digital controller on mine and can get 500-525 tops out of it. The memphis pellet grills will go to 650, a little closer to a good sear for steaks, the big green egg is, imo, the best thing out there for steaks. Rock it up to 800-850 put your steak on and shut off the airflo on the bottom.
I design alot of outdoor kitchens, typically i suggest the memphis pellet grill for smoking, cooking pies, pizza,bread, cookies, etc and for quick burgers/dogs. Then i install a bug green egg built into the counter for guys who are into steaks. Of course there is always the 50,000 btu burner for crab boils!
Somedays i love my job!!

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Traeger with the electronic thermosat. While it does not get as hot as some grills like was mentioned, it makes THE best jerky I have ever tasted bar none. I can not remember the last time our kitchen was used to cook a piece of beef, fish or chicken.

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Every cooker out there is a trade off.
That's why some folks have more than one.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Happy with my Traeger, too. We use it a couple of times a week, rain or shine. It's not a steak cooker, as mentioned, but for that I pan-sear and oven finish anyway.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote