New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Ballard comes home
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stumbled into this sweetheart out of the blue. It's a Marlin Ballard No. 1 1/2 Hunter's rifle in .40/70-.40/63 Ballard Everlasting. Make the cases simply by trimming .405 Winchester brass to .438 inches. Bore is worn, but not pitted, so have high hopes she will shoot once I can afford a Montana Vintage Arms Vernier tang sight. The guy most responsible for my love of Ballards would be the great Ned Roberts, who was so fond of these rifles.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon: Make the cases simply by trimming .405 Winchester brass to .438 inches.

Now that's a short case!

Cool

Great find, congrats!

Posts: 969 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle Sir!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make the cases simply by trimming .405 Winchester brass to .438 inches

Must be like a wide 22 Short? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
D'oh. 2.38 inches. How did I mess that up? Sucks to grow old.

old

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Bill.

Lovely old rifle for sure.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post