New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Case Peened Lip Edge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Those that may have problems with “peened” cases should be interested in the subject article at the following link:

http://www.texas-mac.com/Remov...Peened_LIp_Edge.html

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After posting the article I was informed of another very similar technique used by a fellow with the handle of Montana Charlie (aka Charlie Maxwell). Charlie developed the Kal-Max case stretcher and is a well know contributor to several of the BPCR and single-shot rifle forums. See the article for his process for removing the peened edge on .45-70 brass. Also note his technique allowing use of the same die with longer cases.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never dealt with this problem, but if I had to then I would use my file trim die, run the case up, trim off any excess and if it still had the peened egge I would insert a tapered punch or what ever in the lip and tap it with a hammer, they die is hardened and would round out perfectly..

A no brainer if you have a file trim die, they are not expensive and are much more accurate than a lathe type trimmer, and therefore work better on lever action rounds or double rifles that may be crimped and all cases need to have the same amount of crimp, lathe type trimmers are simply inaccurate, but fine for bolt guns where you just don't want cases too long in that they become hazardous. File trim dies are accurate enough to get cases all the same length to crimp the same for each case.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post