THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    Comparison of Rem, Win & Starline .45-70 Brass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparison of Rem, Win & Starline .45-70 Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,

I just posted an article comparing Remington, Winchester and Starline .45-70 brass. I’ve discussed this before on this forum but combined the data, comments and photo into a short article. Those of you with Browning BPCRs in either .40-65 or .45-70 may be especially interested since I included recommendations based on matching brass and chamber dimensions.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Compa..._Starline_Brass.html

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TexasMac:
I am aware that Ron Long only utilized Remington brass in his chambers for 45-70 or 40-65 chamberings. Winchester brass was too thick and would stick in his chambers.

Posts: 2747 | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The measurements TexasMac made indicate Winchester brass had the thinnest walls. Supporting that, Winchester brass also had the lowest weight. I don't know what difference an extra .007" in wall thickness really makes but it is no small difference, about +25%, between the Remington and Winchester brass.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its pretty common knowledge that Rem brass has always been thicker than than WW brass,in all cartridges smokeless..Early black powder rounds? I have no idea?, not even sure if Rem and WW ammo was ever produced in black. In smokeless ammo it has always been a rule of thumb for handloaders to load a grain or two less in the Rem cases, all else being equal...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post