Find
Notify
Tools

Steel choice ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted

I've decided I NEED a new folder. O.K. ...I decided I want a new folder Big Grin

I have carried Kershaw's Black-out with 440A Stainless blade for the last few years. Cutting every thing from rope to field dressing a deer. Carry also God forbid for Self defence. While I do like it, it doesn't seem to hold an edge to well.

I'm looking at the Camilus Dominator (above) with S30v steel...they also offer it in AUS8 steel.

My question is about the blade steel,is the S30v that much better than the AU8? I realize that some of the cost is also in the handle material Titanium vs. the Zytel.

Thank you.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post

The other version.

one of us
posted Hide Post
440A is a marginal blade steel, 440C is good,AUS-8 is good too [ I've used the Cold Steel Master Hunter for years] S30V is the best stainless steel for knives ,I carry a Chris Reeve Sebenza and I love it.Yes it's expensive but it's a pleasure to use S30V. www.agrussell.com has a NON assisted version of the Dominator if you would prefer that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In general for smaller blades, I prefer ATS-34 or BG42 (very good), S30V (better) and S60V (better yet).

Given proper heat treating they'll all get sharp, hold their edges, and be sharpenable by the mere mortal. The S30V and S60V seem to make for more aggressive edges because of their vanadium content.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Now I just have to decide if the S30V is $100+ better steel. Roll Eyes

I do like the Asst, Open I've actually needed it a few times while on ladders at work and while handing treestands for hunts.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
You know people that buy knives often do so for the wrong reason or put another way make an uninformed choice.

440A is a stainless with the minimum of allows in it. But if you are going to make 400,000 $12.00 folders at a cost of $1.50 then the cost of chrome, molybdenum, vanadium, and nickel are significant costs.

ATS-34, 154CM, 440C and other better quality steels will drive up the manufacturers material, heat treating and manufacturing costs.

To maintain the same margins a knife that costs $43 to make will be sold for $430 (Custom knife), or alternatively a knife that costs $13 to make and sells for $130 (Like most "quality production knives").

Now these facts are irrelevant to the purchaser (other than being interesting.), but you have to make a decision at which quality level you want your knife to be at.

Quality production knives do the job better, last longer and hold an edge better because of this marginal addition of alloys to the blade material. Often they do in fact require machine sharpening to get a great edge, but in my opinion this is worth it.

Artistic content will of course drive up knife costs as do special handle materials, etc. but do little for knife performance.

If you learn the technology of knife manufacture and sharpening, and you will make better decisions about knife purchase.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
but you have to make a decision at which quality level you want your knife to be at.

Exactly!

Intital cost vs. working life divided by frustration level if the knife is lost.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Steel info from Jerry Hossom

http://www.hossom.com/index.htm

154CM is a high quality cutlery stainless steel which is more than sufficient for all but the most demanding needs.

S30V is a new high impact stainless steel which is tougher than almost all other high alloy knife steels, save one...

CPM-3V, that one, is the highest quality knife steel made. It takes an amazing edge and will withstand abuse that would destroy lesser steels.

All knives from Fehrman knivea are in CPM-3V
For $100 this steel could be yours if you can live with the 3" skeleton handle knife.
Get one now Big Grin

http://www.fehrmanknives.com/knives.htm

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have found that overall "CPM-S30V" is the best. It accepts a good heat treating, polishes up nicely and has excellent strength and edge retention when at a 58-59 hardness.

Right now a lot of the "commercial" makers are using it. These knives are very reasonably priced for what you get.

The best are:
Blade-tech
Chris Reeve
Benchmade
Spyderco

For customs, Lloyd McConell (Cactus knives) is among the best for hunters. "Mac" as he is called is the bespoken maker for Holland and Holland, Jarrett Rifles to mention few. Fit, form and function are all there and they aren't all that pricey.

FYI...

JW

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Andre' my friend. I really like that neck knife. I have amall one now that I only use to eat with when camping & hunting.

I carry a small folder daily. I think I'm going to by the 1st tonto I posted the pic of with the S30v steel.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
It looks like a good knife and the steel is top draw.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I bought the Camilus Dominator with S30v steel last night from a dealer on E-bay. I found a volume dealer and got a great price($139).

Thanks ALL for the advice!

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I recieved my new Camilus Dominator (with S30v steel) today. Very, very impressive! The workmanship is is quiet honestly more than I expected for a production knife.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a scott cook fixed blade knife w/ s30V steel and it has performed excellent. I've gutted 7 hogs and counting without sharpening it and some of those hogs have been 250+lbs boar hogs that are notoriously tough on knives. Splitting the breastbone on a old boar is usually not easy but it is with this knife. Definite endorsement.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about a Fallkniven U2 with SPGS steel? For less than $70,it makes a nice EDC choice. I am looking to get a Tre Kroner in 3G steel that is right up there at the top of the "high performance" steels. Look it up here:

Fallkniven

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trouthunter
posted Hide Post
Question for you makers out there...why don't more makers use Swedish tool steel for their blades these days?

I collect vintage Randall knives, all with blades made from that tool steel and the old ones that I actually use keep a much better edge than anything I've seen made since 1968, by anyone.

I had Keith Coleman make me a folder with Swedish tool steel and went through 7 Texas whitetails with it last year and with just a few swipes on leather it would still shave.

So, why don't more makers use it?

Thanks,

TH

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote