Find
Notify
Tools

Blind Horse Knives
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
Well I finally got around to uploading some pics of my new knife. I wanted a durable knife that will hold an edge, can strike a ferro rod, and can handle some battoning if need be. Many people have recommended some pretty high end stuff and although I'm sure they'd be great I just can't part with $400 or more for a knife I'd feel guilty using. It's suppossed to be a tool after-all.

So I happened to be watching Dual Survival one night and liked the knife Dave was using so I started snooping and found out it was a Pathfinder from Blind Horse Knives. After a little homework I decided I'd like to get one of their knives for real use. Then came the descision....

I generally like shorter blades and seem to gravitate toward the three to four inch drop point. The classic Loveless or a spearpoint generally catch my eye. So this pathfinder is very similar to an old Gerber I have in ATS34 and although I like the blade it dulls easier than I'd like, and won't spark a rod.

Of the choices I was having a hard time deciding,... until October. They came out with the Pro Woodsman and I ordered it right away. So here it is.

8 3/4" overall length
4" edge
5/32" O1 steel

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Beautiful...a very good looking and very practical knife. Great choice.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not the best, but good thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is what a good working knife ought to be like. Great for a baton, ok for skinning/gutting, not too long and not too short-good choice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you used it to spark with yet? How much was it? Do they make a 6" blade version? Is an awesome knife to be sure but it seems a little short for battoning? I'd also like to have a small cavity in the handle. Your knife seems real usable and easy to carry, strong, and pretty durable. Hope it word out for ya!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have tried it with a ferro rod and it is easy to get good sparks. BHK makes several different models with blades much bigger if that's your preferance.

The hollow handle thing has been done different ways. Bill Sanders does one that has removeable scales that is a great knife for outdoorsmen. More money but a great knife and good guy. There is one (can't remember who's) that has a ferro rod in the handle, but I didn't like the blade design much. Chris Reeves knives were great but not easy to find now and getting harder.

The battoning with a short blade is no different except you have to use a different technique with bigger stuff. I have never NEEDED to batton anything really, but have done it to make a fire when things are damp.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again nate thats a fine knife you have there!

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With Quote