New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife Throwing...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are there any knife throwers out there that could give me a few pointers, no pun intended? I've been throwing knives for about two years now but I can only hit consistantly for a distance of 20', beyond that, it's all luck. I'm better with an axe.
I was wondering if it is really possible to throw a knife perfectly straight and paralell to the ground? You know, without spinning revolutions? If so, could someone please let me in on this little secret?
I throw a couple of homemade knives with ground to spear points. The spear point is my favorite style of throwing knife tip. Each knife has thin birch scales with brass rivits. What does the rest of Accurate Reloading throw?

Arctic Gun

Posts: 91 | Location: North of sixty | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to throw knives when I was a teenager. I never got beyond about 20 feet either. I do notice the knife throwers at fairs spin their knives also. I've never seen one fly straight.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your range with a knife is the distance it takes it to turn round and hit point first.
If you want to vary the range you need to throw different balanced knives for the various ranges.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
First use only throwing knives ,second never throws your knife in a combat situtation .JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advise Juan...As bad as throwing a gun away during a fight!!

The chef

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I tried thowing knives in High School... (Cause it's a skill that chicks dig Big Grin)

I noticed the knive would rotate once fully every 2 paces. If I took a step back I'd have to hold the knife by the other end. Two steps back and it would just make another revolution and land point first. I think you need to adjust your distance and see where you end up.

In a fight, throw the knife and shoot whoever picks it up!

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to do it for the fun in intertainment go ahead.

Other wise it is a waste of time I did a lot it when I was a kid spent hrs and hrs at it. Never got very good brought throwing knifes and the whole bit.

Buy a couple of good knife fight training videos and learn proper knife fighting.

Spend the same time learning how to use a knife properly and how to throw a couple of good punchs and kicks and you well be a lot better of defense wise.

Throw in some good pistol training and you become very efective.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty well versed in the defensive/offensive arts as well. I don't think anyone here is suggesting to use a knife as a weapon. As you say they are pretty fun to throw and a great stress reliever!! Even better than videos find some local guru and spend a lot of time with him...it's going to hurt a lot but by the time you can defend yourself you should be pretty good.

the (well beaten) chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knife throwing is just one of many hobbies. I don't intend it to use it as niether an offencive or defencive fighting style. Although, my Dad has taken porqupine with with a well thrown knife... As for fighting, I'm a fairly adept boxer/ wrestler (real wrestling). Years of logging have givin me quite the intimidating physique and agility in the ring.

Arctic Gun

Posts: 91 | Location: North of sixty | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote