New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Buck alpha vs Puma??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am not sure where Puma's are made but from what I remember the steel is Soligen. From my understanding, Soligen is good steel, very good steel. I am guessing: I think Puma has been around alot longer than Cold Steel!

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Solingen makes numerous grades of steel some good some not so good for knives. How long a company has been around doesn't have anything to do with whether or not a newer company may or may not make a superior product. How many PUMA knives have you closely examed or owned? I've looked at a several dozen Puma Knives in 4 countries, I'd rather have cold steel most of the time........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I've looked at a several dozen Puma Knives in 4 countries,"

Me too: I looked at Pumas in nearly all the SouthEast Asian Countries...and Japan and in most of all the Western European countries.

The one I did buy was for my Brother when I bought him a Puma Bowie in Germany, with a stag handle in 1969...he lost it..

The ones I see today are in knife collections on dispay at gun shows...and they seem quite nice.

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
mete: D2 is not stainless, it is good all around steel but there are much better steels, like Crucible CPM-3V, some steels from Bohler etc . . .D2 is easy to work, easy to sharpen, with good toughness and other properties, but today powder steels are next level.

And never top stainless steel will equal top non stainless steel in all parameters except rust resistance. But todays DLC coatings and other hightech coatings solve this problem . . .

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote