New
Find
Notify
Tools

loveless
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My grandfather gave me a Loveless knife acouple of years ago. Do I use it or put it in the safe?

Posts: 34 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
which model is it, What kind of shape is it in and how much do you care about the value of your hunting tools.

If it were mine and it had been used I would continue to use it (albeit carefully) regardless of its value, simply because I would enjoy having a keepsake from my Grandfather out in the woods with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know more about the knife. The only things I know about it is my grandad got it as a tip from a hunter years ago and its like having a third hand when your butchering a moose. I would like to e-mail a picture of it to someone (I don't know how to post pictures) who knows somthing about knifes to tell me a little about it. Thanks Jason

Posts: 34 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cap:
I would like to know more about the knife. The only things I know about it is my grandad got it as a tip from a hunter years ago and its like having a third hand when your butchering a moose. I would like to e-mail a picture of it to someone (I don't know how to post pictures) who knows somthing about knifes to tell me a little about it. Thanks Jason

Send me the picture and I will see about posting it. My email address is in my profile.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the pictures for me. Now can anyone tell me anything about this knife. Is it a real Loveless? How old? Model? Keep using it with the chances of losing it or put it in the gun safe? Thanks Jason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Loveless called that particular model a "Semi Skinner".

It appears to be a genuine loveless. I can't make out the logo. Is it Lawndale or Riverside California. is it the Naked Lady logo?

Condition has a lot to do with value on Loveless Knives, but any skinner made by loveless is much more scarce than his Drop Point Hunter model. Without knowing the condition of that knife I would say it is worth a minimum of $2000 and probably much more than that if it checks out as a genuine Loveless.

It is probably made of either 154 CM or ATS 34 steel. It should have red rubber liners under the scales, and the scales are more than likely Micarta scales. The tang is a tapered tang.

Nice Knife!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:I can't make out the logo. Is it Lawndale or Riverside California. is it the Naked Lady logo?

Lawndale -- click the link under the picture for a larger version or click here for the largest, original size.

I must have missed it if there is a female on it, but I just posted the pics.

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Loveless used the nude logo in his earlier knives. Later he used the Lawndale logo and I believe he used several more logos on his knives.The knife is a semi-skinner but the exact model I am not sure. The dip / curve in the spine of the blade is one I have seen before but not very often. That design is one of his rarer designs. The knife appears to be well used. I would continue to use it like your grandfather did. Loveless used and made 154 CM metal popular during the early 70's. My bet that knife is 154 CM, great stuff and better than ATS 34 (Japanese 154 CM, often referred to). Nice heirloom, how would your grandfather want you to use it, safe queen or user?

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is my grandad did not like the knife. He was going to put it in a yardsale for 20 bucks. He was a guide and outfitter for 40 years and always liked cheap softer steel folding knifes. I always used a Buck Vangard and was happy with its performence. When I started packing the loveless knife I loved it but never knew it speical in any way until I had a sheep hunter acouple of years ago that clued me in. Thanks for the replies Jason