New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bark River ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been looking for a new skinning knife and was wondering if anyone had any experience with Bark River Knives? I have also been looking at Bob Dozier Knives. Anyone have any input? Thanks

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve handled but don`t own one. They appear to be very nice high quality knifes. They have a web forum here...........
http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=...arkRiverKnifeandTool

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got several but have only used one for actual skinning. Offhand, I don't recall the model name, but it is a short skinning type blade. Frankly, I found its performance to be very middle of the road and didn't think it held an edge very well.

For just a bit more, you can get a custom knife by David Winston or Gene Ingram (among others, these 2 are quality makers that are reasonable(especially Winston who I understand started Ingram) whose work I'm familiar with) out of D2 or S30V (Ingram does more S30v than Winston, I've got a set (camp and skinning/carry in the mail next week out of S30v from Winston but I believe he had Ingram do the tempering since he was less familiar with S30v) and a knife by either maker would be a helluva lot more blade. I've got a blade by a maker named Nowicki out of D2 which is CONSIDERABLY better than Bark Rivers IMO. I don't know him personally or even if he is still working (bought the knife off of seller at Blade Forums) but it holds up well to skinning work. Another VERY reasonably priced maker is Prentice, who is a regular Army officer, and is a nice guy to work with. There are many others but these are some whose work I've used. We skin a lot of deer and hogs around here. To date, NO knife is really good on hogs including Boye's carbide blades. Just too much dirt and mud on the outside of a hairy hide.

BTW, this is just my opinion and we all know what they are worth, but based on my rather limited experience with S30V, it is not the wonder steel that some would lead you to believe. Don't get me wrong, it is good, but the specs would lead you to believe it is considerably better than D2. My real life experiences have not backed this up.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: if you know your makers (and there are places you can ask if you don't) ebay can have real deals on working knives. I often see them sell for less than half and sometimes much less than half of what they would cost new from the maker. I had to quit ebay knives or buy another gun/knife safe. Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info guys, I was kind of leaning toward the Dozier KS-1 master skinner with the D2 steel.

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the Bark River knives are better than others-the early ones are best.
David Winston is a surperb maker. He uses D2 exclusively and his knives come from him scary sharp. His knives are mostly no frills users with elk antler scales. He does make other on special order. I have 5 of his knives and they are all very well done. I have rotated them as EDC and all work!.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Duc:

I agree about David Winston's work and he MAY have decided to use D2 exclusively after these last two knives I got a couple of weeks back, but they are S30V as I said above. If I had a clue how to post pics of them, I would. So far, no pig has cooperated to blood them but FOR A CHANGE, we've had a bit of rain and I hope the pigs luck will take a turn for the worse.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
PS I think his elk antler scales are some of the most attractive scales around. To my eyes, they are more attractive than regular ivory, nearly as pretty as most mammoth, and both cheaper and probably more durable.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
PPS: Although sold (they go quick at his prices) here is a pic of Prentice's work.

Prentice knife

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three Bark River knives. The first one, the Rogue Bowie, the blade shape and steel (it rusts whatever it is!) are excellent. Takes a great edge. The negatives are the handle taper is greater at the pommel than tang. I believe this is bad as your hand will slip forward onto the blade. The scabbard is a poor design. Simply a cross strap. Probably would loose the knife in short order.

The second is a bark river Sutter. This is a copy of the San Fransico Micheal Price knife. My has stag handles. I like it, shows good workmanship, wish the blade was a little thicker than .170". Sharp blade and it is stainless. I don't remember the scabbard so I must not have had any negative ideas about that. I would carry this knife. It is a light duty knife.

The third is a Sand Storm II subhilt. Green micarta handles. Maybe a 5" blade, extremely light, very sharp and stainless. I think this is a winner for a carry knife. Now mind you, if you want to be head chopping, get a khukuri. This is a very light knife with a short handle, but the subhilt will keep it in your hand. It is primarly a tool. If I had to lug a 100 pounds of gear all day, I would appreciate a light knife. This will do it. I remember I liked the scabbard.