THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Mirror Polished or "toothy" edge better?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mirror Polished or "toothy" edge better?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At the moment I believe that the best edge is one of 2 perfectly polished planes meeting at an appropriate angle.
However I have read several articles etc. and some people advocate the use of a "toothy" edge such as one might get with a diamond tool etc.
I would appreciate discussion both ways, thank you.

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes,. thats what they say. They say that a toothy edge will actually out cut some things more than buffed edge.

I think it all deppends on what you are cutting....I think cutting rope needs some bite to it...

I dont know for sure....

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
For cutting "fibre" materials like meat etc., it is better to have microtooth edge. But for cutting by press like chef (onion and other vegetables) is better to have buffed edge. This is why butchers steels are more coarse (or diamond) than chef steels (keramics) etc.

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I am cutting something like pine, I like the polished edge to get thin shavings. If I am cutting cardboard I like the coarser edge. I think it all depends on what I am cutting and what knife I am using at the time. I have a huge butcher knife that I sharpen with a fine flat file to cut the cardboard. To cut the pine, I have a small carving knife and use a leather strop with jeweler's rouge on it. Both ways work good for me.

Posts: 7 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 05 July 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The mirror polished edge is unsurpassed as a cutting edge, IMHO.

The problem is that it works best when it is unworn and unblemished. Once some wear occurs the cutting efficiency goes down dramatically, and a more serrated type of edge will saw through the material better. In a knife of softer steel, a really finely honed edge is usually a waste of time as it will dull quickly and you spend your time sharpening rather than cutting, but man in a good, hard, quality blade that finely honed and polished edge is the way to go.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote