Notify
Tools

Hey metallurigists: H-1 Steel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Have you ever heard of it?

Spyderco is using it. They advertisise it as saltwater proof (by using nitrogen instead of carbon for hardening properties) and still holding a high grade edge.

Opinions or experiences?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's got to be something more than what they are saying. I have never heard of replacing carbon with nitrogen for hardening. I don't believe it is possible since carbon is one of the elements used for hardening steel and nitrogen is a gas and plays no part in steel hardening. To my knowledge.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
The bladeforums guys love it, I can not find a spec sheet on it - sorry.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can not find a spec sheet on it

Per the Spyderco metal comparison chart, in percent:

Carbon, 0.15
Chromium, 14-16
Manganese, 2
Moly, 0.5-1.5
Nickel, 6-8
Nitrogen, 0.1
Phosphorus, 0.04
Silicon, 3-4.5
Sulfur, 0.03
Hardness, Rc 57-58

It is a Precipitation hardened Steel, FWIW...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's spelled CHEAP ! It is a new steel developed for cheap knives.The steel comes from the mill already hardened and the knife maker just grinds it to shape.So it's soft enough to be easily ground and polished and provides a servicible [???] knife for low cost.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet it isn't cheap ... not with all that nickel in it.

Probably won't hold the kind of edge that is expected of a fine knife. Has two little carbon and vanadium for me to expect it to be an edge holder.

Seems to be aimed at corrosion resistance. Lots of dive knife makers using it.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's spelled CHEAP

It's *only* an ~$80 knife...with a ~3" blade eek2 Not exactly an entry level blade in my world.

Benchmade used it for a while too, in their dive knives, before changing to X15TN (.21 N, BTW, and CPM-S30V has .20%N)...again not exactly an entry level blade maker.

I figured that it either traded off edge quality (can't live with that) or ease of sharpening (I have the patience for that)...but couldn't tell which.

one of us
posted Hide Post
S30V isn't remotely comparable. That has 1.40 C and 4.0 Va in it ... makes for pretty sharp knives!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
S30V isn't remotely comparable

Agreed...I was just pointing out that using nitrogen as an alloying agent is not exclusive to this H-1 I was researching...so there might be something to it...but might not as most things are tradeoffs and I am not enough of a metallurgist to know the difference! Big Grin