New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Boar Spear designs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you do a search for "Saufeder" you should find some pictures of typical German boar spears.

As an example, I found this one: Saufeder

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the knife designs from Muela (Spain), they make some specific knifes for Wild Boar Hunting.
I think you could use the same designs for your spears, since I�ve seen a French Hunting Spear that is a transformed Muela blade.
I particularly like the "Podenquero - Gran Duque and Montero" blades, but take a look yourself.

Cheers,

Manufacturas Muela

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IanF,

Here are some more aspects I think you should consider in the design of your spear for Wild Boars.

- Choose a steel that has some flexibility as well as Hardness, If you spear a big Boar and the spear blade brakes you will be facing a very angry Boar and you will be unarmed. It is better for the blade to bend then brake. See if you can find some old truck suspension blades � the ones from the back of the truck. The steel should have the right balance between hardness and flexibility, look for a final hardness of 55 � 58 HRC on your blade.
- Also make sure to have a large and wide guard on the back of the blade, you will find this very useful if you have to hold off a Boar that is trying to charge at you. If you spear a big Wild Boar he will most certainly charge at you.
- Look for a blade length between 35 and 50 cm, This should be more then adequate for anything you choose to hunt with your spear.
- Don�t make the overall length of the spear longer then your own height, preferably look for something between 1.5 and 1.70 meters.

Hope you can make a really good spear , don�t forget to post a picture of the finished product.

Cheer�s

Nsiro

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote