THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Plug: Cheap knife that works and you don't mind losing

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plug: Cheap knife that works and you don't mind losing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While I've got quite a few custom knives, I almost always wind up using my everyday pocket knife, a Buck Odyssey, on deer and hogs. However, I have kept in my truck a back up Winchester sheath knife that I bought at Walmart's for a couple of seasons now. I've used it on at least 10 deer and at least a dozen or so hogs and can recommend it highly considering its cost. The knife is made in China, overall length is just over 8 inches, blade is about 3 7/8 inches, has a good eye pleasing design, the handle is relatively ergonomic and is large enough to hold onto with bloody hands, has decent stainless steel that sharpens easily and holds a decent edge. All of that, including a nylon sheath, for less than 10 bucks. It is a true bargain and one that you won't cry buckets over if you drop it in the river or if it "walks" off somehow or the other. It is somewhat heavy for backpacking. I'm not about to say it is nearly as good as most custom knives, but for the money it is unbeatable.

PS: I've heard all the claims about how some knives hold their edge through multiple skinnings and they may be true for stellite or some of the more exotic steels but I've personally never seen one that would skin multiple hogs and hold an edge. Almost all of the hogs I work on are coated in mud which usually means you need two knives if you like a really sharp edge for your work. By the time you've field dressed and skinned the hide off a hog, or at most two, that knife needs a sharpening. Deer are not nearly as tough on an edge as hogs.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
PS: I've heard all the claims about how some knives hold their edge through multiple skinnings and they may be true for stellite or some of the more exotic steels but I've personally never seen one that would skin multiple hogs and hold an edge. Almost all of the hogs I work on are coated in mud which usually means you need two knives if you like a really sharp edge for your work. By the time you've field dressed and skinned the hide off a hog, or at most two, that knife needs a sharpening. Deer are not nearly as tough on an edge as hogs.

You probably do the same as I do, but what I do now with the hogs is carry a folding diamond sharpening rod to touch up my knife when cutting the skin dulls it. A few swipes with the rod and it is sharp again. It looks like the one I use isn't made any more but it looks like this one but without the taper:

You are exactly right -- the mud and grit in the hair dulls a blade really fast.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the fixed bladed Winchester knives from Walmart (without the gut hook). It was $14.88. That included sheath. I think it is a very good looking knife, so nice that I bought another. One heck of a deal. They also had a folding Winchester knife. I think it is the one you are speaking of. I will have to go back to my local Walmart and check it out. One cannot have enough good looking knives. LOL

Posts: 23 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yotehunter:

I was talking about the fixed blade knife. Locally it is priced at something like $9.84 now. It was higher. I haven't tried one of the folders yet, but the fixed blade is a darn good knife at an unbeatable price.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I went back to Walmart today to look at more knives. I saw the knife that you are talking about. Nice. The Winchester knife that I have is the bigger version of that smaller one. But both are great looking knives. I also saw a fixed blade Gerber on display. It has a titanium gray coating on the (stainless) steel. 4" blade with sheath. Just under $20. I bought it !!.......

Posts: 23 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote