New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Knives of Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Big Sam, I saw you already got your new KOA blades, I hope you enjoy them. The two I have hold their edge very well and they are well balanced, as well as the blades having appropriate spine and taper to them. I think you'll like them. I do!

Good Luck, Hope you get to skin a trophy with them!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking around the catalogs have have found the new, Knives of Alaska "Handmade Series" knives. They are made out of D-2 steel.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these?

My Cold Steel 'Master Hunter' will not hold an edge very well and I am looking at moving up.

Thanks for your in-put.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sam,
I had the Light Hunter Mini Cleaver and Cub. The Cub is a very good knife for gutting and caping. I found the Light Hunter Mini Cleaver to be too much knife for my needs.

My Cold Steel Master Hunter has a similar edge to the Light Hunter Mini Cleaver, and I don't use it, either.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My two knives arrived today. I got the Knives of Alaska 'African Hunter' and the 'Muskrat'.

I am looking forward to using them this fall.

They recommend the Gatco sherpening system. Is this any better than the others? They want the angle to be 22 degrees. Do the others have such an adjustment?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Sam
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have had the cub bear model for 4 or 5 years now, was a gift from a client during a moose hunt , I have never looked back at any other knife, now with the muskrat I dont need any other knives, and they get a good work out each year with between 10-15 bears and upwards of 10 moose during guide season and then my own animals , 1 company that deserves 2 thumbs up

Posts: 12 | Location: Lakes District BC, Canada | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote