New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprise, surprise!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My dad was in WWII with a CoonAss from St Francisville Louisiana. They served aboard the USS President Adams in the South Pacific. They maintained a lifelong friendship. My dad passed in October 09, his friend around May of 2010.
From the time before I can't remember my folks would load us up and head to Louisana to see them every other year. Did that till I left home. I remain good friends with his son, and we carry on the tradition. In fact Charles tells folks that they lived so far back in the sticks that he was 12 years old and in jr. high school before he knew that there were any other white folks in the world other than him, his sister, parents and my family.
He came through Houston today on his way back to Louisiana from spring break. He was 50 before he got married, so he has younguns.
He knows I love to hunt, kill stuff and skin it for table fare. He queried me as to whether I had the appropriate knife for skinning. I went on an extended narration of the different knives I use. It was then that he pulled out this little jewel and told me he thought it might be a proper skinner should I choose to use it and hand it down to my grandson. Imagine my delight and surprise when I took the paper off.
A Randall model 28 Woodsman.......

It looks like I'll go to my lease to do a little varmint and hog hunting on the 23rd of March. Can't wait to blood it.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! And a fantastic story of friendship. So nice to hear of such loyalty and generosity. I don't seem to see that much anymore.
Congrats on receiving such a nice gift.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you and your new knife hopefully it will soon become your favorite animate inanimate object I know my hunter which was a gift to me on my 50th is with me on every hunt.

Posts: 1614 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wonderful knife. You are a lucky man to have such friends that give thoughtful gifts.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very fine knife and a better friend. Congratulations on both.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
EXCELLENT! & a EXCELLENT tradition to carry on also. tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good story, great knife, excellent friend... lucky man you are, living life right! Smiler

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oneshotonly:
Good story, great knife, excellent friend... lucky man you are, living life right! Smiler

+1 on that

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good story and great knife. I will tell you from practical experience that the Woodsman is one of the most useful knives that Randall makes. There are too many Randalls that are safe queens, use this one!

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A great surprise! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the chance to blood it Saturday night.

Popped this sow just before dark.

It made quick work of the task at hand.

Yum, pulled pork on the menu.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
That is a great knife. That stainless blade is just the thing for that type of work.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randalls are great knives. I have a few I use on a regular basis. I keep them sharp with a diamond "stone".

They have very good steel, whether it is the tool steel or the stainless.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote