New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Who can sharpen my knife??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Oakie, you just need to keep at it with your lansky.
What you are up against is changing the angle that the knife was originally ground at-- it makes no difference whether it was hollow ground or flat ground, pick the angle you want on your lansky and start with your coarsest stone, 10 or so strokes on one side and then match on the other, keep going til you see the new angle. After it is apparent that you have the new angle shaping up, start going to the finer grit stones. Keep your stones clean. Scrup them up from time to time as you go. Make sure you match your stroke count especially closely--pressure and frequency, especially when you get to the finer stones. It'll come in, just keep at it.
Good Luck--D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okie,
If you have the diamond stones check to see if you still have diamond imbedded in the stone. Your course stone will appear smooth in the usable area and rough in the part you can't get on the blade. The only Lanske I owned wore out way to quick for me to ever use again.

Take care

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote