New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Buck alpha vs Puma??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The fit and finish of current production Puma knives isn't anywhere near what it was as recently as 9 or 10 years ago. I recently received a Puma sheath knife that was the same as a model I already owned, for about 14 years, there is no comparison, the new knife is alright but the stag is of massively lower quality(I know--stag is not allowed to be imported a lot of places nowadays--but) and the fit of the components is just poor. The steel in this particular knife is very good--But DJ is right, Puma steel is typically from Solingen, but of varying qualities. Buck knives almost always have steel that is heat treated to very high hardness, and it is not easily sharpened, Oddly enough my personal experience is that it doesn't hold an edge really well either--just my experience. Also as DJ said a company can be new and make excellent knives. Cold steel has a reputation for excellent quality and very durable knives at a fair price. I have several hundred knives and some of my recent production Cold Steel knives are among my favorites. Beretta has some knives made for them that are excellent quality including some Bob Loveless design knives in ATS 34 steel that are awesome--around $150 though....Over and above current production Buck or Puma knives though, check out some of the current offerings from Benchmade, Microtech, Lone Wolf, Al Mar, Kershaw. Oh yeah, how could I forget--Gerber, one of the best, also I just bought a knife from SupremeKnives.com manufactured by Xikar-it's from Taiwan, but the quality is excellent, this one is a folder and the steel is great, called the explorer about $30 including the shipping cost.... One thing's for sure--one ain't even close to enough!

Good Luck and keep em Sharp!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote