New
Find
Notify
Tools

hide fleshing knife
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a knife specifically designed for fleshing hides. Would the basic Ulu knife be best or is there some other design that works even better? Any recommendations? Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of Eric Sloan's 'Museum of Early American Tools" which illustrates the tools of the leather workers. The fleshing knife shown is a double handled and double edged knife ,the convex side for trimming the concave side for scraping. They use this on a curved board called a tanners beam....Don't know what they use today.If you'd like a photo of the pages ,I could email it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best thing for fleshing I've ever found is the front leg bone from a moose. I suppose a cow or horse bone might work as well. You cut it about a foot long, with the 'knee bone knob' at the top. Taper the cut end fairly long, about 2:1, and sharpen it nice and smooth with a file. Always sharpen from the 'angle-cut' side; leave the rounded side alone - it's like sharpening a hoe or an adze.

The usual method is to cut a Poplar tree off (about 8-10" thick) at about breast height, and either round the top nice and smooth, or cut it on an even bevel so it forms a smooth and solid surface to work against. Drape the hide over the tree, carefully slit the flesh to the white of the hide, and start peeling the flesh away with a short chopping motion. Slickest thing you've ever seen - I've fleshed hundreds of beaver this way, and you never cut a hide! Both the bone and the tree will last a lifetime.

Edited to add - slit the flesh across the center of the hide, and work both ways from the middle. That way the hide doesn't slip off the tree. You can do about 10 beaver a day this way, but after a few days you'll have an arm like Ahnold!

Posts: 5742 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another idea is the Gransfors Bruks Hunters Axe. It has a polished rounded poll specifically designed for skinning. The edge is easily as sharp as a knife, you should be able to completely dress an animal with this tool as well as doing other camp chores. I bought one to try out next season and will let you know how it works.

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just did a search under 'fleshing knives' - they still make the same design as they had 250 years ago !!!Check it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I have fleshed one hell of a lot of beavers, and maybe even more, and the fleshing knife I used the most was called a Necker Fleshing tool. Two handles. razor sharp on one side and dull on the other side.

You need a fleshing beam as well. when you are fleshing, don't try to take long strokes. keep what you are working on close to your body and only work on a little bit at a time to avoid putting too much pressure and causing a hole to form.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of these:

One of these:

A fleshing beam that you can easily make, and you're all set for just about anything.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote