New
Find
Notify
Tools

My recent knife splurge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I’ve been hitting Ebay a bit recently and thought I’d post a few photos of the purchases.

From top down:
Grohmann D.H. Russell
Fallkniven F1 (VG10 blade)
Spyderco Stretch (also VG10)
Fallkniven U2 (“powdered steel†blade. not sure what this is exactly)

I haven’t had a chance to do much other than a bit of domestic cutting around the kitchen with any of these knives yet. So far I’m super impressed with the F1 and the Spyderco. I’ll need to give them a real workout but they’ve come up wicked sharp on fine stones and leather strop.

In the past I’ve been turned off by the tactical image of Spyderco knives and this is my first one. I’m more than favourably impressed by the quality and “handiness†of this knife. I got a super deal on it and it’s way more knife than I expected.

On first impression the Grohmann certainly has a different feel to it and is going to take some getting used to. Hope it grows on me.

I can see the Fallkniven F1 and my Leatherman Wave becoming my close hunting buddies. Between the two of them I should get most hunting chores done.

Cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu, what do you think about the convex edge on the F-1?.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To be honest it didn’t click when I ordered the knife that that’s what I’d be getting. It was the VG10 blade and the overall size and shape that I was thinking about.

The knife blade seems like it will get some pretty heavy duty tasks done for its size. There’s a lot of weight behind the edge. I guess that’s what a convex grind brings? Now I have to learn how to keep the edge working sharp. Stropping worked to bring up the factory edge. There might be a few tricks to master when I need more than that.

- stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll never go wrong with a Fallkniven. The F1 maybe my favorite because it does all things well but the S1 and A1 are also excellent. The covex edge is the way to go after you use it and get used to it.
The NL series are great knives ( I have 4 of them)but the grips don't fit my hand. Kinda like having a Ferrari with an uncomfortable seat.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu, You sharpen a convex edge with sandpaper and a computer mouse pad. You put 400 to 600 grit paper on a mouse pad. You start with the knife basically flat and stroke away from you while folling the blade up, stopping with the edge toughes the paper. Do it on both sides, move up through some finer grain papers and then strop.
The trick is to not go past the point where you roll over the edge and change the geometry.
One of Ed Fowlers books has a better description than I just gave. You might find it with a good internet search.
I've got a couple different F-1's, some with and some withot the convex edge. I haven't totally warmed up to the convex yet.............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this link:
Convex sharpening

I have the powder steel version of the F1. It was a limited edition production run. Think of it as a U2 blade on an F1. I love the Fallkniven line of knives. You've got some good knives there. Wink

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dj, small fish, Thanks for the sharpening information. Those tips and some variations that came up with a little googling should give me something with which to start practicing.

Dr. Duc, The NL series have a nice look about them. There may be one in my future.

I’ve got just about all my knife needs covered for now but one thing missing is a skinner with an upturned blade. Any ideas / suggestions? The Grohmann pelters are close, but I’m still trying to work out whether those knives are for me.

- stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
dj, small fish, Thanks for the sharpening information. Those tips and some variations that came up with a little googling should give me something with which to start practicing.

Dr. Duc, The NL series have a nice look about them. There may be one in my future.

I’ve got just about all my knife needs covered for now but one thing missing is a skinner with an upturned blade. Any ideas / suggestions? The Grohmann pelters are close, but I’m still trying to work out whether those knives are for me.

- stu

I have two Fallkniven H1's. I love the way they handle skinning tasks. See them HERE

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definately thinking of that one.

- stu

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
The Fallkniven F1 looks like my cold steel master hunter. but is made from better steel.
Perfect knife design and a super grip. GREAT user congratulations on a near perfect knife.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your knives.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

- stu

You might check into Helle knives "Fjellman" or maybe "Viedemann". Here's a family pic:

http://www.darktimberdesign.com/helleknife/index2.html

And here's individual pics with descriptions:

http://www.darktimberdesign.com/helleknife/knives.html

I bought several of them including a "Fjellmann". The handle on the "Fjellmann" looks funny but it actually feels pretty good in my hand. The steel in them seems to be excellent especially considering they are only $50-$60 over here.
I'm planning to field test the Helle's this hunting season. I'll probably take either the "Eggen", "Wind" or "Harding", but plan to use the "Fjellmann" back at camp for skinning. I'll let you know how they work.

BTW Here they had the "Fjellman for $39.99:

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/prodlist.js...e=Brand&Brand=217&A=

Good luck!...............DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any updates on the Spyderco Stretch.

I am looking at it as a compromise between my small "tactical" knife and large lockback folder. Is it a good idea?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t done any real work with it, just kitchen stuff and lots of fondling Big Grin. I love the easy one-handed opening and the feel of the knife is pretty good to me.

I haven’t got one handy but from memory it’s not very different in overall size to a Buck 110, but it is thinner. I bought mine on Ebay for a little over $60. For that price I consider it a bargain.

- stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

You might check into Helle knives "Fjellman" or maybe "Viedemann". Here's a family pic:

http://www.darktimberdesign.com/helleknife/index2.html

And here's individual pics with descriptions:

http://www.darktimberdesign.com/helleknife/knives.html

I bought several of them including a "Fjellmann". The handle on the "Fjellmann" looks funny but it actually feels pretty good in my hand. The steel in them seems to be excellent especially considering they are only $50-$60 over here.
I'm planning to field test the Helle's this hunting season. I'll probably take either the "Eggen", "Wind" or "Harding", but plan to use the "Fjellmann" back at camp for skinning. I'll let you know how they work.

BTW Here they had the "Fjellman for $39.99:

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/prodlist.js...e=Brand&Brand=217&A=

Good luck!...............DJ

DJ,
I’ve been looking at the "Fjellman". You’re right, the handle does look kinda funny in the pictures, almost a fat knob. I’ll be interested in any reports you bring back from the hunting field. Could it be rasped down to a slimmer profile and refinished, if I found I didn’t like it as is?

There certainly are some pretty knives on the Helle list. Pity for me eknifeworks doesn’t export. Those are some outstanding prices.

- stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu, Any of the Helle wood handles knives would be pretty easy to reshape to fit your hand as needed. I sanded and resealed a couple of the the ones I had with horn in the handles upon recommendation. No problems doing so................DJ