New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice Folder Recommendations?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for recommendations on a nice folder to have custom engraved.
Blade about 3 ½†long and drop point or spear point or similar. Scales of a natural material (stag would be perfect, but nice wood could work). Needs to have some engraving room on the bolster or end cap.

Although I'm primarily looking for a single blade knife, Puma makes a multi-blade folder which is somewhat appealing. They used to have a great name but I don’t know much about the various grades of Pumas anymore.

This knife will definitely end up being a bit of a show pony, but it will also be carried and used occasionally. Having proper working characteristics is important to me.

Just wondering what other recommendations you all might come up with.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I gather, you are hard pressed to find a finer folder like the Chriss Reeve Sebenza: http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza.htm

http://www.chrisreeve.com/pffolding.htm

On a knifeforum I visit, it is almost the standard all others are judged by. It costs from $300 and up.. but I belive in buy once, cry once.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Queen / Schatt & Morgan immediately come to mind.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kershaw comes to mind. But I have an Oregon mfg. 1617 mod, P-10 scales, titanium frame.

There's a "cultural" thing going on with knives which derives from swords, sabres.

Bottom of the drive here I have a US Army General who has a calvery sabre hanging on the wall of his den. It's gorgeous. I want one!

It's "presentation" and engraved.

So are you looking for a knife or trophy? Knives are often engraved and presented as awards, trophies. But they're not necessarily great knives.

And so you can get one hell of a knife. I have Kershaw, Buck, Schrade, Glock. All great knives, and would be wonderful presentation pieces, but not "Trophy Presentation Knives."

one of us
posted Hide Post
The two finest pocket knives I've ever owned were the above mentioned Cris Reeves Sabenza's and William Henry knives:

http://www.williamhenryknives.com/product/pocket/index.html

The only problem you might have with either is that the scales on both are titanium so I don't know how you would like engraving them.
A good friend of mine has a Bob Dozer folder that is a particularly fine knive also (he traded me his Sabenza after buying the Dozier). They might be worth checking into.

None of these are cheap, but the best rarely is..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few good ideas there, thanks.
As much as I like the Sebenza and the William Henry offerings, they’re not really the look I’m after. A little too sleek and modern.

After searching through all the folders on the AG Russell website, here are a few that catch my eye:

Browning Mastersmith Collection Bailey Bradshaw

Paragon Interframe Lockback (would be a perfect engraver’s canvas which may just put the work out of my budget)

Boker Bog Oak (blade may be too small for what I want)

Any opinions on these? Both the Browning and the Paragon are really calling me. It's hard work looking through the Russell catalog without whipping out the c.c. Wink

Cheers,

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, now we're getting a feel for what you're shopping for.

Locally we're in the knife mfg. capital of the free world. Pac. NW. We have Gerber, Kershaw, Benchmade, CRKT. I think Buck is down the street. Buck is in Idaho, next state over.

But so for a "presentation" piece I'm inclined to look for a "local" mfg. or one that I'm attached to nostalgically ---

That would be Kershaw, Benchmade, CRKT, Gerber -- Or Buck, Case, Schrade. Schrade went out of business, but I have a box full of their old, USA made stuff.

You can find "vintage" and collectable at gun/knife shows.