New
Find
Notify
Tools

BG 42?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This steel seemed to be on the fast track to stardom and then it just disappeared. What is the story with this steel?
Thanks.
SB Smith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An excellent stainless blade steel made by the Timken Co originally as a bearing steel. Unlike Crucible ,Timken doesn't cater to knife makers so it's difficult to get the sizes convenient for blades. Try Crucible's S30V, 154CM or the newer CPM 154, all of these make excellent blades .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that this material is not enough better than ATS-34 given its cost though it is easier to grind. S60V feels sharper and has excellent corrosion characteristics.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple BG-42 knives and like them a lot better than ATS-34. But I'm with Starling in liking S-60V a good bit better yet. It kinda stinks they are discontinuing S-60V.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote