THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    What's your opinion on the Chris Reeve Mountaineer?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your opinion on the Chris Reeve Mountaineer?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
When backpaking I'd like to have more of a survival type knife/ sheath combo that is more realistic than most of the "Rambo" inspired knives. My thought is more along the lines that the knive needs to work in all the roles that I would have used my hunting knife for, but also provide me some benefit should my backpacking hunt turn into a demonstration of survival.

I would like a sheath that not only has a stone but also a pouch for things that would be of real value. The pouch could be similar to a pistol mag pouch, and attach to the sheath so it remains with you, not in your pack.

I am kicking myself for not getting a Gerber BMF.

What do you guys do to satisfy this role? Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
BigNate

What you need is a sheath from Spec ops. They make a sheath caled survival, you can get it in many collours and the pouch on the front will hold a multi tool etc.
They make one for 6" knives and one for 8" knives.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=29

The CR knives are fine if you want a hollow handle knife.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply and link. That sheath is about what I had in mind.

I'm not set on a hollow handle knife. I know most are weak and break but his is made from a single billet. I believe on his website he says they're nearly indestructible. I would be fine with a full tang, I was just thinking about a knife designed to be a muti-purpose knife, and still function in a survival situation. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris Reeves makes superb knives, Spec-Ops makes some great sheaths. Should make for a great Combo.
The Reeves knives come with a nice leather sheath but they don't have pockets, multiple attatchment options etc............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
Thanks for the reply and link. That sheath is about what I had in mind.

I'm not set on a hollow handle knife. I know most are weak and break but his is made from a single billet. I believe on his website he says they're nearly indestructible. I would be fine with a full tang, I was just thinking about a knife designed to be a muti-purpose knife, and still function in a survival situation. Nate

BigNate

I like hollow handle knives. If they are made well like Randall #18, Jimmy Lile SlyII Or Rambo knife, they will not breake.
The hollow handle mekes it real easy to make a survival spear Wink

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffrey, Have you ever played with a Chris Reeves Knife? If not PM me and we might have to figure out a way for you to play with one.
Your comparison posts you made here were great! I've enjoyed most of the stuff you've written about knives more than most of the Knive magazines I read...............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I was eyeballin one (Chris Reeve) on ebay. It sold for more than a new one. Eeker

Anyway in paruising the 'net I found another maker that may well be of interest. Price is a bit much for me, at least for how little it would get used.
Bill Sanders Knives

Another option would be just to get a sheath and use my Camilus version of the Marine combat knife. Oppisite ends of the cost spectrum I know. Basically thinking in public. Nate

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aleko, of Heritage Arms in Salt Lake City had a couple of Chris Reeves in his store a few weeks ago.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our local knive shop "Knives and More" on MacArthur in Oklahoma City probably stocks as many or more Chris Reeves knives as anyone in the country. I was in there yesterday and he had probably 30 or more Sabenzas. A dozen or so Minadi's, Both Special forces knives and the Chris Roberts knife, most of the Hollow handled models etc. I don't have the number off the top of my head but area code 405 information should have the number. If I find it I'll post it.
Ken (the owner) is a bit of a character and has his moments but he usually gives me better prices on Chris Reeves knives than I've ever seen posted on the internet. He's worth a call, tell him David Jones suggested you give him a call and if he doesn't treat you good I'll go give him a hard time! He's usually open 12-6 M-Sat....... Smiler Smiler......