THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Midrange pocket knife for fishing/utility use?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midrange pocket knife for fishing/utility use?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I've been looking for a new knife. It MUST be HIGHLY corrosion resistant, and not just the blade. ALL hardware must be good SS or non-metallic. This will be a pocket knife, but for me to take fishing, and that means in my pocket when I am chest deep, wading in salty Gulf of Mexico waters!

It must be handy and easy to use one handed, in case I get tangled in a rope in the boat or in the water...so cutting a half inch dock line should be easy and QUICK! A clip to keep it accessable at the top of my pocket is required too. Fixed blades are OK, but most are too large for comfortable carry, and the sheath will hold salt against the blade.

A sharp edge is obviously required (and maintained by me...) but a sharp point is NOT desired! Serrated edges are not my favorites either...too hard to maintain. Look at:

CS rescue knife

CS Pro Lite, Drop Point

These two are close...but not perfect.

I would like to stay in the $50US range...but under $100 is acceptable. No more, because being on a boat I expect no more than 3 years before it gets dropped overboard. I am TOO familiar with Murphy's Law!

Other suggestions?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Benchmade makes a water rescue knife, butI am not sure of the price. You could try to pick one up on knifeforums or bladeforums in the trade/sell sections.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Another option:

Spyderco

Has anyone ever head of this 'new' alloy they are claiming to be a 'wonder steel'?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My every day carry is a Microtech LCC, but thats not really a good choice for your use/specifications.

If I were you I'd choose a Spyderco.
Get one with either VG-10 or S90V/440C/CPM440V/S60v/420V etc.
VG-10, in my experience, is more corrosion resistant than other typical stainless steels used in knives. The CMP steels I mentioned are all different names for 420V and 440V. These have good corrosion resistence and will gut 5 times longer than other steels before going dull. If you're concerned about cutting rope, the Spyderco serrations are a little better than most other companies. If you dont sharoen much I'd go with the serrations. A plain edge will cut faster than serrations, but only if they knife is sharp. Serrations will buy you a littl emore time between sharpenings but are a pain in the but to sharpen.

The Cold Steels you linked will be fine, but in my experience the AUS steels rust quicker than the 440 seres and the 440A in that Pro Lite won't hold and edge worth a flip (AUS 6 and 440A have the same edgeholding, the the rescue knife has two disadvantages). Having said that, if you keep any knife clean, oiled, and sharp then you wont have any problems.

Spend a little more money on the nicer steel, if you dont loose your knife quick then you'll appreciate the edgeholding later down the road.

A good choice would bt the Spyderco Native with 440V, they run about $60-70 and are one of the cheapest knives with a CPM steel. Spyderco Calypsos are coog too, they've got VG-10 and hare about $50.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the Spydie. The Catcherman (not the best Spydie made) can be found under $50.

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
A good choice would bt the Spyderco Native with 440V

I see 2 Spyderco Native models:

Native with CPM-S30V

and

Native III with VG-10

I like the looks of both...I guess I need to find a nearby dealer and go hold them.

Then again, reading the 'Bad Ass Folder' thread got me a D-2 Mini Griptillian from Cabelas last week. My first knife from Benchmade, and I am hooked! Not corrosion resistant enough for the boat duty, but what a solid tool!

Maybe a fixed blade, like the river/dive knife from Benchmade would be a good route, since it would now not have to do double duty...hmmmm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blade-Tech Wegner hunter!!!

Get the coated version - lots of good stuff said about these knives!

JW