New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Solid Horn handles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can cape bufflo horn be used as a knife handle?Is it solid?What about wildebest horn is it solid also?I have heard also that the rhino horn was used for handles in the far east countries,is it solid also?I have two tips of horn that i bought at a fle market years ago and they look like they came off a wildebest,they are black and solid,they would make a good knife handle,just wondered what animal they could have came from.Maybe they came from a cape bufflo?How can i tell?I guess the american bison would have a black solid horn also?Mountain goat?They are interesting,thats why i bought them.Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the specific animal. Most of the ones you mentioned will make slabs for knife handles and some of them can have the tips used for handles as well. Chances are what you have is water buffalo horn which is readily available and not terribly expensive. Kudu horn is also availabe and makes a neat looking handle on a larger knife. If it is too small, the texture doesn't show as well.

There are various companies that sell them or check ebay. Here is an example:

http://www.boonetrading.com/RawMaterials/RUWBH.html

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gatogordo,Thats a great site.I relly like those artifacts!I agree with you i bet those horn tips are buffalo.Thanks again! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote