Find
Notify
Tools

A new knife I was asked to make
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
This is a knife I was asked to make by a member of another forum. He asked for my take on a Half Face Blades skinner. I asked a couple of questions about preferences, but was given a lot of latitude on the build which was actually a bit daunting. I was a bit worried he wouldnt like my choices, so kept it pretty classic. Anyhow, he likes it so thats a relief.

The blade is a high saber grind in 3.8mm NitroV steel. I took the edge down to 0.2mm which google tells me is 0.00787402 of an inch, so should work really well. The handles are Gidgee timber, with red liners & brass pins and lanyard tube. Gidgee is a very dense Australian native wood, so a great material for handle scales. I am getting a sheath made, then it will be on its way to the USA.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
This video is me testing the edge. It came up very nice once it was sharpened and stropped. Sorry the video is crap. Its just me self filming with my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBMssZ6ejN0

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Dandy skinner ya made there.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Dandy skinner ya made there.

Thanks mate tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the blade length and width?

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as it cuts and hold a edge.

Should do fine.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
What is the blade length and width?

Hi mate. Sorry for the delay in answering.

The blade length is 4.8 inches long, and 1.5 deep. The width of the spine is .149"