Find
Notify
Tools

"Everyday Folding Lockblades" a review
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
I found this interesting but my tastes in folding lockblades are much different than his.

Everyday Folding Lockblades

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link LD,

Like you I guess his tastes are a little different from mine but the emerson commander looks interesting. I usually don't like a belly to the edge of a blade but that one isn't too bad and might make a good hunting knife.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Those blades are not easy the re-sharpen when they need a new edge.
Get one with at "normal" Blade

http://www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/cqc-13.htm

More Benchmade knives

http://www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/emerson_knives.htm

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Masters of defense make a great knifes.I carry their CQB auto from time to time.In my opinion Microtech makes the very best folders auto or manual.If you should want a gentlemans folder Chris Reeves Mnandi is tops.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
You could'nt pay me to carry a microtech,,,I bought one of thier butterfly knives,,,poor handle allignment,missing a shim,the tang barely locked the thing,,would not return calls,I'll spend my money with benchmade,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by claybuster:
You could'nt pay me to carry a microtech,,,I bought one of thier butterfly knives,,,poor handle allignment,missing a shim,the tang barely locked the thing,,would not return calls,I'll spend my money with benchmade,,Clay

Clay,
I have an Ultra Tech that lost a screw.I e-mailed them got a return number they sent me a brand new knife.I was very pissed that I had to send it in,but was very happy with the results.

At the N.R.A. convention I spoke with the folks at Benchmade.I asked what they had new to offer in the way of autoknives.They asked if I was a cop I said no I'm a collector.I told them what I had of theirs.I also told them that I felt the Auto Spike was poorly designed.They agreed an said thats why its been discontinued. They told me that the knife I bought a year ago was the newest thing.They dont come out with enough new designs.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I had my balisong stolen maby 15 years ago,,,last year my mother in law commented on my 720,Which I adore,,A bit beefy,,,opens with a snap at just a push of the thumb,,,,pull the lock back and close it with a flick of the wrist,,A true one handed folder,,,So I picked up the micro tech on a whim,,mail order,,,no more mail order knives for me,,if I cant fondle them,,,,,i'm not buying them.Ok,,,I'll give them an e-mail,But this is the first and last microtech I'll ever own.Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
The folding lockback I carry the most is a AG Russell Ark toothpick. Stays sharp and is an easy carry in the pocket.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I like the kershaw #1550 disigned by Ken Onion.
It is spring loaded and closes easliy
1 hand operation.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to be a knife dealer, so I've seen most of what's out there, and the only thing I carry myself is Benchmade. 834, as I recall. Since you can't get the round holes anymore, I round out the ellipse with a Dremel tool.

Incidentally, I carried the same one for six years until some thief at Delta (or TSA-- even more likely) stole it out of my suitcase. It was in a zip up interior compartment, and did not fall out. Nothing else was missing.

But I digress. The steel's better than Spyderco, and they are easier to open than Cold Steel's offerings, especially with gloves on. I don't like anything with a metal clip (bad news if you bump into your car), but one has no choice anymore. There may be some equally good custom knives, but the price would be so high as to preclude daily abuse.

I do wish they had a better design for stopping one's hand from sliding down on the blade, but otherwise, the things are near perfect.

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pertinax,

What vendor do you suggest for knives? As you know they are marked up a lot or discounted however you want to say it.

I had one when I sold knives but they require a tax stamp and not everyone has one.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote