New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H loads for 300gr bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd appreciate any suggestions some of you might have for accurate loads with 300gr bullets.

I've been very pleased so far with my new RSM Ruger M77 .375 with the 300gr Hornady RN and IMR4064, but am open to try some others if any of you have favorite loads you'd share.

Thanks!

PS: Any of you used the 300gr Hornady RN (softnose) on large game? Curious how well it holds together on game. It's very accurate in my rifle and I may well stay with it if it's a reliable performer.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 grain North Fork with 69 grains of RL15, with a Lee crimp, goes 2550 fps. in my Whitworth. I see some of the guys using up to 72 grains with other 300 gr. bullets, but mine won't.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I'd stay with the IMR 4064 and the 300's works for me for many years. Max accuracy and velocity. What more could you want?

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet performance vary with the range you shoot game at, your bullet placement and of course the game you hunt. Having said that it is my firm opinion that the 300gr Hornady RN is strictly a bullet for plinking. Do not fire at game with this buillet! I have, at very small deer, they went down very quikly but the bullet ruined lots of meat and the performance would have been mediocre to say the least had the game been larger.

I have had good luck with both 70gr of Norma 203B (aka Reloader 15..) and 78gr of Norma 204 (close to Reloader 19) with 300gr bullets. I use Nosler or Woodleigh for hunting.

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not used it on game yet, but have heard reports both ways on the 300gr Hornady... Some have had excellent penetration from it on things as large as bison and of course deer, elk. Your experience was different, I'll have to try it on my local mule deer here and see what I get. They sure are accurate I can attest to that!

I've been thinking of using the 300gr Swift A-Frame or Woodleigh for elk and up. Both are incredibly tough bullets.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of safari_hunter
posted Hide Post
In my BRNO 602 .375, I use 300 grain RNSP Taipans. The load consists of 76 gr WIN 760, CCI magnum primer using Winchester cases.

Velocity is 2535 fps and is my most accurate load. With this load my rifle will always shoot 1 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards.

Posts: 89 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some 260 gr. Nosler Accubonds in my new model 70 win. In 375 H&H with CCI 250 primers and RL15 69, 70, 71 and 72 grs. And all my groups were 1 7/8� to 2�. I don�t think that is very good at all. The accubond is a BT bullet. Any suggestions for improvement?

Posts: 45 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote