New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 scatter gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was just at the range a few days ago trying to sight in my 30-06. Didn't get very far as it wasn't at all consistant. Gun and scope are tight. Am laoding 57gr. of IMR 4350 and 165gr. hornady interbonds. Primer is press seated, (simpler this way). Was shooting off sand bags and would litterally have one shot 7 o'clock 6 andthe next up at 11 o'clock. What's worng?

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has the rifle shot well in the past?

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I used facotry ammo with it this summer and it did fine. Also am using 200 primers I think 250 were perscribed. That shoudn't make that big of a difference should it?

7mm. guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had primers make that much of a difference. You've checked the stock and scope screws, so I would take a hard look at the crown next.

Also,try a different powder. My 30-06 shoots very well with a Barnes 168gr TSX and RL19, but not with imr4350.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornet,

What's the crown? I'll definetly have to change powders thanks for the ssuggestion.

7mm. guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm. guy,

If another powder does not work, you could try a different bullet.

Just a few weeks ago a friend was sighting in his two .30-06's for deer season. He bought some 180 gr. factory loads to try this year.

.30-06 #1 shot them very well at 100 yards BUT .30-06 #2 put them into about an 8" pattern! He checked everything over on the rifle but could find nothing wrong.

I suggested that he try some 150 gr. ammunition or a different brand of the 180 grs. He purchased a box of factory 150gr. and proceeded to fire a nice group with 2 bullet holes touching. He was relieved to say the least.

It could be that, for some reason, your rifle may not like the Hornady bullet and would prefer anothet type / weight.

Good luck,
w30wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
NRA Life Member
.22WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF Cartridge Historian

Posts: 41 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm.guy:rifles are very particular things. You can have two .30/06 rifles, the same make and model, serial numbered consecutively, and one will shoot one brand of bullet better than the other for no apparent reason. Or, one will like a particular powder and bullet combination, but the other rifle will not like the same combination, then again, maybe both will like the same combination just fine. It takes a lot of experimentation to find the right combination. Commercial cartridges cater to the broad spectrum of shooters with loads, whereas, the handloader caters to his, or her, particular rifle. The commercial ammo you used and was pleased with last summer may well be a good load for your rifle and it may be in your best interests to try to duplicate the load. Each of the other posters have given valuable information for you to consider. You might also take a look at your scope. My brother owns a 9.3x62 rifle and he put a brand new Simmons Atec on it ... twice. They last about 3- to 50 shots and then go south on him. I told him he would probably be better off getting one of the Leupold VariX-1s at the very least. Scopes can go bad on you while shoot the second, forth or seventh box of ammo. As far as the crown, that is the very end of the barrel and is the portion of metal around the bore at the very end of the barrel. Sometimes one can accidentally bang this portion against a rock and it might put a nick in the crown, which makes the escape of gasses as the bullet passes through the end of the bore uneven, thus, you have patterns rather than groups. Many gunsmiths will re-crown a barrel for $40 or so. Inspect the crown on your rifle with a good magnifying glass to see if you can spot any uneven nicks at the edge of the bore. However, if you get a box of the factory ammo you got before and it shoots good again, then it isn't your crown. You might also look at how you shoot off sandbags. Try to make sure your rifle sits in exactly the same postion on the front and rear bags each time you pull the trigger and that you use front and rear bags in the first place. Good luck in your quest. I have a good buddy who handloads for a .30/06 and his rifle really likes H4350, a lot better, I might add, than IMR4350, but only with Hornady 165 grain SST bullets. Good luck ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
What type of 30-06 do you have a Bolt or Auto?

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What brand scope would be my next question.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a bolt action rifle with a Simmons scope. Changed to H-4831 and go considerably better accuracy. Thanks.

7mm. guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any number of things can be going on with this rifle, to make it shoot terribly.
Most everyone hit on the most likely culprits, ie: ammo difference, scope, BR technique, Crown damage.
Dont rule out, a warped or badly bedded stock, or the fact you may have badly copper fouled the barrel.
The other thing is when you shoot off your sand bag you are not resting the gun on the barrel?
When shooting from the bench always rest the gun on the stock only.

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7mm. guy:
Hornet,

What's the crown? I'll definetly have to change powders thanks for the ssuggestion.

7mm. guy

You might also try from 48 to 50 grains of IMR 4064 with those same bullets. You should NOT need magnum primers with IMR 4350 or 4064. Actually, you should NOT need magnum primers with any of the IMR powders in standard cases.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd recomend IMR 4895, as it was designed for 30-06, though I'd recomend a slower powder for the heavier bullets. (which you've already got covered) But for 150-165 gr. I'd be using 4895. But that's just me.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I have a 30 gibbs that won't shoot 165 interbonds into a pieplate at 100yds but 165 interlocks are moa. 62.5 grs of H4350.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote