Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win & Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone come up with a load for the 300 Win Mag using 168 grain Barnes TSX ?

Posts: 28 | Location: Hoehne, Colorado | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm working on it. Everything I've tried has produced okay groups and good velocity. I'm still working on it though.

The best load so far has been 77.5 grains of RL22, WW brass, WLR primers, and the bullet at 0.050" from the lands. I haven't tried closer to the lands yet, but farther from the lands and the groups would open start to open up. Velocity was around 3,200 fps at 77.5 gr of RL22.

I will try H4831 and H1000 next.

Posts: 117 | Location: Tumwater, Washington | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Curly

Thanks for the info. Have you tried RL 19?

Posts: 28 | Location: Hoehne, Colorado | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I didn't try RL19. I ran out of R19 while trying to get the XLC's to shoot (which can be described as patterns and not groups). The TSX's seemed to shoot well with any powder charge tried with RL22.

Posts: 117 | Location: Tumwater, Washington | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got pretty good success with 78.5gr RL22, TSX 168gr.

Velocity was 3260fps for the high. Accuracy was between 1/2-3/4 of an inch at 100 yds. Liked the velocity, so didnt fool around much more accuracy. I will start again.

Some rifles shoot Barnes and some dont...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Some rifles shoot Barnes and some dont...sakofan..

Seems to me that statement is true for the original X bullet and the XLC, but maybe not for the new Triple Shock. I haven't heard of any rifle that won't shoot them accurately enough for hunting purposes, whereas the other two styles would turn an accurate rifle into one that would only shoot 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats true enough. I guess Banes may have solved the accuracy issue. My Rifles have all shot the Barnes line well, and I tried them all.

I think the Barnes TSX MAY be the new king of the hunting bullet hill...sakofan....

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any load info for 180 tsx?
thanks
wayne

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote