New
Find
Notify
Tools

your favorite 45 Colt recipe?
 Login/Join

<Embalmer>
posted
Well, I just got me a new member of the family. I just bought a used Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I want to load for this gun and see what kind of ammo I can produce for her.

I have only loaded for rifle so far and have not tried loading pistol ammo yet. So and reccommendations on procedure as well as accurate loads would be greatly appreciated.

I am loking more for a plinking round then anything else. But I would of coarse like it to be accurate. What is the best powder that I could use for the 45 Colt? Also what do you suggest for the brass and primers as well? Like I said, I never never tried loading pistol ammo before so I can use any and all advice you can offer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
starline 45 colt brass is the best around. I use 2400 for most of my 45 loads, 14.5 gr with 270gr cast bullet, 18.5gr with 250gr jacketed, and 20gr with 270gr cast bullet

Posts: 44 | Location: Maine | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My plinking load is Starline brass, Winchester primers, a 250 gr. lead bullet, and 9 gr. of Unique.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
Can someone explain to me what a cowboy load is?

How is if different from any other loaded? What about it is loaded different?

Less recoil? Lower velocity? Whats the difference?

<'Trapper'>
posted
"Cowboy Action Loads" are supposed to equate the original loadings for the caliber you are using. Rally, that is about all I know as I have never been involved in CAS - however, if you go to http://www.cowboyactionshooting.com/pages/cowboylinks.html you will find all the info you could ever want and probably more.
Best regards,

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
7-8gr of unique & a 225-230gr bullet is a very mild & accurate load. Look around, there are alot of guys casting this weight in a RNFP w/ a crimp groove. I have shot 1,000s in CAS. CAS loads are light recoiling for faster follow up shots in competition. The real speed freaks use .38specials & if they do use a .45colt they will shoot 200gr bullets @ about 700fps. Accurate & very easy to shoot. My wife also shoots a .45colt for competition & out of the bigger Bisley revolver, it shoots like a .38.

My current back packing pistol is a 4 5/8" SSBH. I use a 300gr LFP over 16 1/2gr 2400 for just under 1000fps. It's accurate & while recoil is there, it is controlable & penetrates really well.

[ 06-02-2003, 14:26: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
Embalmer
If you want very mild loads shoot the "Cowboy " loads. but for most plinking loads you'll find that the standard one's shown in the manual are just right!! The 200-250 gr bullets are made for these loads and easy on the recoil. I've shot many 230 cast 45 ACP bullets .452 in mine and there are great plinkers/small/light game bullets!
Favorite loads is 9.7 gr Bulleye at about 1000 fps in my SRH and 1300fps out of my Win 94!
[Big Grin]

[ 06-06-2003, 00:43: Message edited by: Gunnut45/454 ]