New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Good All-Around 308 Load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a good 308 load. It should be cheap, accurate, flat-shooting, and adequate for deer and elk. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okie John, as you know, every rifle shoots differently, but the most accurate load in my Rem. 700 BDL .308 Win., is the 165 grains Nosler Partition in front of 45.0 grains IMR 4064. I get 3/4" groups @ 100 yards with that one, and have killed elk and Mule deer with it, and no problems.

Another very accurate and effective bullet in the same rifle is a 150 grains Hornady Interlock and 46.5 grains IMR 4064. I've poleaxed Mule deer with this one, but have not shot an elk with it. I'd bet as long as I shot well, it would do just fine for an elk.

I'm sure others here will have some good loads also.

Good luck. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for IMR 4064 in the .308 but I dont use it for elk so I have no loads worked up for that application.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
okie john,

A load my 308 likes is 40-44 grains of Reloader 15 with a 180 grain Speer Mag-Tip. I have taken taken deer with this load and think it would work well for elk as well. In bullet testing into wet newspaper in my '06, the Mag-Tip looks very good. At 308 velocities, it will be just fine.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I used 165 Barnes X boattails with 44 grains of IMR 4064.

Worked well on a moose a few years back.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with leanwolf's suggestion for 165 and Re15. I get the same results he does with a different rifle and different bullet, so I think it works.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
The 308 Win I have used from coast to coast to harvest game from deer to elk. I have used my SSG-69 in 308 Win to harvest alot of game here in Alaska such as Moose, Black Bear and Caribou. The load that I have always used has been:

165 Sierra Gameking BT
VARGET @ 46.0
CCI BR-2
WW Cases

The Federal Prem. Factory load with the same bullet 165 Sierra gameking has also performed very well.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote