Find
Notify
Tools

.308 match loads.... Varget, and IMR 4895
 Login/Join

<green 788>
posted
In the .308 Winchester chambering...

Varget is one of the best powders with the Sierra Matchkings.

Use 46.0 grains of Varget with the 168 SMK,
Use 45.0 grains of Varget with the 175 SMK,
and
Use 44.0 grains of Varget with the 180 SMK.

The above loads all shoot 1/4 to 3/8" groups from my 10FP Savage at 100 yards, and are excellent long range performers. I think it's also very important to use CCI's BR primers. These seem to always yield the best results with the Varget powder.

In my OCW (optimal charge weight) load testing, I've noted that 43.6 grains of IMR 4895 seems to be the optimal charge in the .308 when 168 grain Sierra Matchkings are used. This particular charge grouped 1/2 MOA at 300 yards (1.5 inches) for three shots--even though one of the three was charged with 43.3 grains of powder, and one of the three was charged with 43.9 grains of powder. Such an optimal load can resist minor changes in lots of brass, powder, primers, etc. and still shoot tight. I used the Federal 210M "Gold Medal" primers with the IMR 4895. Last session at 600 yards yielded a nice three shot 2 inch (1/3 MOA) group with this load. It's a bit faster than Federal's Gold Medal Match load, so it won't follow a traditional trajectory. But it does shoot *tight*...

Dan Newberry
green 788