New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 Loads for Barnes Original 195gr Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have located a modest supply of 7mm / 195gr Barnes Original bullets and I am looking for load data and info on your "pet" 7x57 loads for this bullet.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
spudstor: I have never loaded that heavy so I have no pet loads here. The only weight bullets I run in my CZ 550 American in 7x57mm are the 162 grain Hornady SST and the 160 grain Nosler Partition. I have a second printing of P.O. Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" and it does list a 195 grain loading. It doesn't specify what 195 grain bullet. If Barnes is the only one which did make a 195 grain 7mm bullet, then this is your baby. Anyway, it lists 44 grains of IMR4350 powder for a velocity of 2,400 feet per second. The book does not specify what barrel length was used in the reloads, or the twist rate of the barrel. Sorry no one else responded. My guess is, no one else uses a 195 grain bullet in the 7x57mm Mauser. Good Luck ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, thanks for your reply. I recently aquired an unfired (complete with box, hang-tag, etc.) M70-XTR Featherweight in 7x57. It is my first experience with this cartridge and I am anxious to begin loading for it.

Spudstor

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are going to love the caliber. It was developed in 1892 as a military round and was used in the Spanish/American War by the Spanish Military in Cuba. History books say it was used very well, I might add.
Later, hunters worldwide used the little metric cartridge and they fell in love with its fairly light recoil and unexpected punch on the other end.
Hunters in Africa used it very successfully from everything to plains game antelope to elephant, though the elephant shooting is not something anyone would do these days.
I have personally used the cartridge on whitetail deer, mule deer, antelope, elk, wild pigs, javelina, coyote and even a wild turkey in Texas.
My 7x57mm is a CZ 550 American with a euro-twist barrel of 1x8.66. I use Nosler Partitions and Hornady SSTs in the 160 grain range pumping along in excess of 2,800 feet per second with H414 powder. My rifle has a 23.6 inch barrel and your barrel is 22 inches long.
Your Model 70 has a barrel twist of 1x10 and would be better suited for bullets in the 130, 130, 140,145 and 150 grain range. A buddy of mine has a Model 70 exactly like yours and it really likes Nosler Partitions. He uses H4350 powder in his with great success. His, and my rifle, are topped with Leupold VariX-1 scopes in 4x12x40 configuration. I think you are really going to like this little rifle spudstor. Best of luck with it and do not hesitate if you have other questions. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, thanks for your reply. Both the hang-tag and manual that accompanied my rifle indicate that is has a 1X8.66 twist, not 1X10. I just mounted a Leupold VX-II 3x9 scope, however after handling the rifle with it in place, I now plan on mounting a more compact scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
spudstor: well, that's what I get for assuming. I have a bud in New Mexico who bought a used Model 70 XTR Featherweight in 7x57mm. He contacted the company for a barrel twist rate and they shot back that he had a 1x10 twist. With your 1x8.66, that is the same Euro-twist that I have on my CZ 550 American in 7x57mm. My rifle shoots the 162 grain Hornady SST extremely well. If you'll go to the gunsmithing site of this forum, and go back to the Dec. 25 posts, you'll see "more pictures of my CZ" by me on it. I included two targets of three shot groups with H414 powder and Hornady SST 162 grain bullets in the 7x57mm. That Model 70 XTR Featherweight is one trim little package. Tom, and I both put the Leupold VariX-1s in 4x12x40 on our rifles because that is what we could afford. I bought my scope from SWFA and Tom got his from Cabela's. Both have been great additions. Good Luck ... Tom Purdom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, I recall the post with pictures of your CZ...it has a very fine looking stock! I appreciate your suggestion regarding H414.

All the best,
Spudstor