New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet puller trouble
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was trying to pull some bullets yesterday with my RCBS kineitc bullet puller and had some major difficulty. Aftter much whacking and banging and much more cussing only managed to get one bullet pulled. The cartrige kept slipping out. One time even managed to pull out the red tip of my hornady interbond, while the rest of the cartrige stayed firmly intact. I've tried putting the case in every conceiveable way with almost no success. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreicated.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Had the exact same problem. My advise? Throw it in the garbage(I did) and buy one of the pullers that screws into the loading press. In my opinion they work much better. Not sure of the brand or what the exact name for them is (collet puller??) but the work much better for me.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch,

Thanks. That's kind of the direction I was leaning. I saw just the thing in the Cabela's catalg. Was a different brand though would this fit on my RCBS press? Still open to suggestions of other options.

7mm. guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7MM, all the collet type pullers should have the same 7/8 X 14 thread...

I use a set of end nippers. Bullets are pretty inexpensive, assuming they are still being made, and it never bothered me to ruin a bullet or two by just using the nippers. I grab the bullet at the cannelure (if the bullet has one) and always right above the case mouth. I grip the bullet and brace the nippers on the top of the press. Push up on the press handle, and the bullet should pull out without much difficulty at all, if you used case lube.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes a nice bullet puller that screws into the press just like a die!
The collets that go with the puller are caliber specific!
I have never had mine fail!
I have (I think) 6 different collets!
I have had the puller and a couple of collets since 1975! Over the years since I've acquired a different size collet as needed!
The price tag is still on the RCBS box that the puller is in, the price WAS $3.39 without a collet!

Get one of these, you'll be pleased!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had that happen to me and replaced the little aluminum chuck. I think they cost about $5.00. After awhile the chuck edges get worn out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a RCBS collet puller like what was mentioned. Works great. Before buying one look into the Hornady collet puller, simular to the RCBS but has a lever to grab and release

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Milner
posted Hide Post
take the little aluminum chuck and replace it with a shellholder for the cal you are pulling for exp if it is 30-06 use a 30-06 shellholder works like a charm

my idea of gun control is a firm grip

Posts: 33 | Location: siloam springs Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted Hide Post
The RCBS puller is great. You just need to get the specific caliber of collett you need. The added advantage to these type pullers is that you don't have the powder dumped into the impact puller head. It's a lot neater. Also, if you are just changing bullet types instead of weight, you can then reseat the new bullet.

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What everybody else said about the collet style puller. RCBS makes 'em. A lot easier than a kinetic style. Just get the screw-in portion that goes on your press then the caliber specific collet. Ya don't end up with powder spilled all over creation with these things either. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ Haydon's Shooter's Supply sells a bullet puller that works like a smooth jawed pair of pliers. Put the cartridge in the press, take the die out, run the cartridge up, grab hold and pull the ram down. Can be done so it does not damage the bullet in any way and you don't spill powder. One tool will ahndle .22, 6mm, and 30 caliber. If you want something for bigger bullets he will probably make you one. Very slick tool and is reasonably priced. Russ' number is 253-857-7557.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WEnt to a sporting goods store and bought a RCBS bullet puller that looks like a die the bosx said puller without collet. The guy at the store assured me that I was all set. Took it home and sure enough still can't pull the bullets have managed to scratch them just slightly. Do I need the xollet thing or am I just setting up wrong. Bullets in question are Hornady interbonds in case that matters.

7mm. guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You also need the collet for the caliber you are pulling.

From what I remember, since it has been such a long time ago when I purchased mine, it came with a collet, but I had to also buy collets for the various calibers I had. It may be that you were given a collet for .303 or .308.

If you unscrew the collet from the die, the caliber will be stamped on the side just above the threads.

This is the only thing I can think of , unless you may not be tightening down on the bullet enough.

Good luck,

HL

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm. guy

You will need a specific collet for each caliber you intend to use your puller for!

Your first clue should have been when the guy handed you the box and it said bullet puller without collet! He should have been knowledgable enough to know you had to have a collet too.

You should be able to remove the bullets without damaging them! That's the nice thing about this specific bullet puller! I have one and have used it off and on since 1974, when I first started reloading!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
As most everyone said, you have to have the specific collet for the caliber you are pulling. If you have all the equipment and it still won't pull, re-seat all the bullets about 1/32" to break the seal between the case and bullet and then try pulling them. That always worked for me even with military ball.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The collet puller from RCBS is fantastic. Don't forget to resize the necks after the pulling process is complete or your bullet tension will not be very good. Someone had that question a while back and thought I would save you the experience of finding out the hard way.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with the RCBS intertia puller. I've pulled 30-06, 8 mm Mauser, 7.62 X 39, commercial and military. All sorts of handgun calibers -- semi-auto and revolver.

There's a ridge in the three-piece "holder" for rimless cases.

Domed surface faces "out" of the puller. Flat surface faces down into the catch portion.

You need to whack the hammer on a solid surface. I use a solid work bench surface or the garage floor with a plank on it. (Wood keeps the puller from getting beat to death.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
somewhere in this thread the thought of lubricating the necks makes the bullets easier to pull? bsflag

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Push up on the press handle, and the bullet should pull out without much difficulty at all, if you used case lube.

You mean my post, quoted above. (It is easily found by scrolling back up, of course...) I said it, and I stand behind it. As is most everything I post on here, this is something I have learned from experience.

Try this: seat a bullet into a case w/o lubing the neck, and seat another USING lube. You will notice that the lubed case accepts the bullet more easily. Wait a day or so, go pull both bullets, then tell me that the one with lube didn't pull with less effort.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Milner:
take the little aluminum chuck and replace it with a shellholder for the cal you are pulling for exp if it is 30-06 use a 30-06 shellholder works like a charm

+1 thumb

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
exactly!
The inertia puller works well, it's the "universal " collet that sucks.
Throw it away and ust the shell holder from your auto prime!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in 1967 when I bought my RCBS collet puller, the lock ring did not have the set screw on it and it was a pain. Putting the set screw lock ring on it fixed the problem. I hope by now RCBS is providing them with the set screw. They are much easier and faster on jacketed bullets than the inertia puller, but don't work so well on cast bullets. Cast bullets just remove your die and run bullet through, clamp on with pliers and when you bring the ram down you pull the bullet. Ruins the cast bullet so just remelt and recast. The inertia puller is good if you don't have enough nose on the bullet to grab onto and only have a few to pull. I use an end grain mesquite log to hit the puller on and even with that if you have very many to pull it is a chore. You can pull a bunch of jacketed bullets with the collet puller in short order.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In inertia pullers just uses the shell holder for the case that you are pulling and not the collet. PS: put a little cotton on the inside of puller so you don't bang up tips of the bullets.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady collet puller. The extra long handle gives good leverage. The thing just works great every time. I gave away my inertia puller.