New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Magnum magnum!!!
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
When I developed this round, I was considering getting a Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. Development of this round convinced me that would be money wasted. I shot a Russian Boar with this at a distance of 25 yards, and the bullet penetrated her skull, liquified her brain, proceeded down her spinal column about 10 inches shredding it, then deflected into her lower chest cavity, made a mess of some of her organs, and lodged itself in her inside hindquarters.

Cases-Mixed headstamp, all once fired, cleaned and trimmed.

Primer-Winchester WLP
Powder-11.7 grains of Blue Dot, measured, weighed at intervals of 10 rounds.
Bullet-Sierra 300 grain flatnose
1.728" COL (Adjust seater to cannelure, chamber check, CRIMP)

This was developed in a Ruger Redhawk, open sights-stainless with aftermarket grips.

Make sure you get a good crimp

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<SlimL>
posted
All loads run across a Pact Professional Chronograph:
.44 Magnum 1431.7 FPS Avg.
W-W cases SD 4.9
CCI 350 Primers MAD 3.9
24.2 grs. WW 296 ES 13 FPS
240 gr Hornady XTPs 1.600 OAL
Good Crimp

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I will preface this by saying I would only use this load in a ruger sbh, bisley or redhawk, super red.

310 gr LBT LFN GC, do not substitute other brand cast bullets, as most others take up alot more case capacity, and hence raise pressures.
CCI 350 primer, 22.5 gr H110, heavy crimp, your choice of case.

Out of a 4 5/8 sbh it clocks 1250 fps, out of a 7 1/2" tube expect 1350 fps. Do not exceed this load, and consider 21.5 a more prudent max, and it'll only be down 50 fps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Viking-59>
posted
JoeM,

Is this load safe for a modern Winchester Model 94 Trapper chambered in .44 Mag as well as my Redhawk?

My wife and i both have 1 of each for our fun in the field guns and want to K/O some pigs but also want to use the same ammo in both (all 4) guns.

Thanks.

------------------
Viking Sends

http://www.Gunnery.Net

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
My gut instinct is yes. I developed this based on a load in the Hornady abridged book, it lists a maximum charge of 12.5 grains. Their load used a Horn case and bullet, however, so I followed good practice when substiting components, and reduced and then worked up. This load gave good accuracy and I did not feel that the extra .8 grain of powder would be of any benefit in a 7.5 inch barrel so I left it at 11.7. It will not break any speed records out of the sixgun, but then again, as experience pointed out it will not need to. Since I tend to avoid lever guns, I really can't comment on how strong they are, as I said, this load was based on publised data and good practice and it is safe in my gun, I think you will be OK, but you should drop down and then work back up. Just for your own peace of mind, and the benefit of safe loading procedure.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M