Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Favorite 25.06 loads for Rem 700 Varmint Special
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
TJ,
I had a duplicate, in '71 vintage, for many years. Like you, I also found IMR 4831 to be the best performer, for all but the lightest bullets. I went to IMR 4350 for those. Of course, all my load development was in the days before Accurate, Reloader, etc., powders were available. I had such good results, I just couldn't see re-doing the loads again.
For deer, I never had any problems with the Sierra 117gr bullet. For that matter, I was happy with any of the 75-85gr bullets on varmints. I think you might have to work to get POOR results from any of the good bullets!
I, also, didn't have any objections to the properly-adjusted factory trigger.
I hope your experiences give you as much satisfaction as I had. The only reason I finally traded it off was that it had finally gotten boring. Just wasn't any fun, anymore. That, and the fact that that puppy was HEAVY!
Anyway, have fun, and enjoy!

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1973 heavy barrel Rem 700 Varmint Special that i'm gearing up to reload for. I've collected lots of info, but hoping to see if anyone has experience in what shoots best from that heavy bbl. I also want to be cost conscious on my components- not cheap, but not throw money away to get an extra .1 moa. Point is - I'm Married! with children - single wage-earner, and am forced to find the biggest bang for my buck.

I've already scoured 25.06 posts for the last 3 years and have lots of info, just didn't see anything specifically for my gun.

BTW, a lot of guys have said the first thing they do is scrap the factory trigger, while others say the early 70s BDLs were better quality. Does the quality extend to the triggers? Should I replace it first thing? If so, what about the Timney Trigger for $50?

Thanks, and I look forward to learning from you folks. TJ

Posts: 66 | Location: Western KY Coalfields | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I do not own a Varmint Special in 25-06 I have shot that caliber quite a lot in standard barreled Remington rifles.

Assuming you want to use the gun for varmints (being a Varmint Special and all), I suggest you try the Hornady 75 grain V-Max bullet. My favorite varmint load for my 25-06 uses Remington cases, Fed 210 primers, 57 grains of IMR 4831 and the 75 grain Hornady. This load gives close to 3600 fps in my rifle and give groups of about a half inch.
This is not a max load, just where my gun shoots best.

In regard to the trigger, I see no reason why that trigger should not be readily adjustable by someone familiar with Remington triggers. The one on my 25-06 is about 2.5 pounds and was not a problem to adjust. I have tried any number of Timney triggers, I do not think they are much better than properly adjusted Remingtons.

Having said that, I have Jewell triggers on my heavy barreled varmint rifles, but they are DAMNED expensive.

Have fun with that 25-06.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I should have indicated what I wanted to do with the round. I do plan to varmint hunt, mostly coyote, but I also shoot deer and an occasional groundhog. One load I got from this forum that I planned to try was 54gr IMR 4831, 100gr Sierra Gameking Spitzer, and Fed 210 primers. I would like to find something the gun likes that I could throw at deer. BTW, I took a really nice 10 pointer with it my first time out in the fall of 2002. I love the rifle, and look forward to working up a round for it.

Posts: 66 | Location: Western KY Coalfields | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only change the trigger if it is not comfortable to shoot now... Otherwise, why bother? I don't know much about varmint rounds, but I've had good luck with 117 Hornady SST's, 115 Nosler BT's and 120 partitions which would be great for deer. I heard a rumor that Nosler is going to come out with a 115 or 120 grain accubond this summer which if true will be very, very cool.

Posts: 96 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned and reloaded for 4 25/06s, one an early Rem 700. My present one is a pre.64 M70 Win. with a Shilen barrel. They all seemed to digest about the same max. loads. I have used a Speer 100gr. SPBT. and 53grs. of IMR 4350 in Win. brass. Velocity from a 24in. barrel is just over 3300fps. This will drop deer like lightening, but I prefer the 117-120gr. bullets for biggame.
A friend went deer huntind a couple of years ago with a 25/06 and 100gr. bullets-he thought. Came upon a spike bull elk and the season was open. He started shooting and 4 shots later he had the bull on the ground. A couple of bullets had come apart on the ribs so this made my friend curious. Come to find out he had been shooting Speer 87gr. SPs. Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ, that load of 54 grains of IMR 4831 behind the 100 grain Sierra should work well for you. I have shot that load a lot except that I use the 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunter (flatbase).

Actually, for the last few years I have been using 54 grains of IMR 4831 behind a 100 grain Nosler Partition and have had outstanding success with it. I have shot a number of wild hogs with it and an antelope, all with good performance. I am taking that load to New Mexico antelope hunting this fall. I shot a coyote at over 500 yards with it last month while hog hunting.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the old threads i've read and your info, it appears that IMR 4831 is maybe one of the best all around powders for the 2506. That's the kind of info i'm really looking for- being on a budget. I want to purchase stuff right off the bat that's most likely to give me acceptable results. I realize everyone needs to experience some miscues- bought lesson, best lesson and all that- I just want to keep it to a minimum. Bottom line is I would shoot more if I could afford to shoot more, and that's a major reason for my reloading. TJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give RE-22 a chance. I'm hooked on it.

Posts: 96 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Accurate Arms MagPro powder a try. It's meant for the new short fat magnums but is quite slow burning so works in the 25-06 as well.
max load with 87 Hornady SPFB varmint bullet is 62.5 grains.
max load with 120HornadyHP deer bullet is 54.0 grains. Both use CCI200 primers in a Remington case.
I like it so much that I've worked up a load using 85 Barnes X bullet for the smaller antelope in Namibia in August.
I liked my Varmint Special so much I had a guy letter it on the tailgate of my pick up truck. He couldn't spell and delivered it to me without the "N". Varmit!!!!!!!!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good story Dave. Thanks for the load. And by the way, you can drive that truck to KY and no one will notice the misspelling- you'll fit right in. TJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 25.06s over the years and have used them for vermin only. Some loads are 57 grains of h414, 75 grain vmax in win brass . Good for 3800fps in all 3 rifles. Another great combo is r19 and 85 grain nosler bts. Accurate 4350 and 75 grainers work nicley as well up to 58 grains. For the most part I like 414 and the 75g. vmax. Remember to reduce 5%. Good luck and let me know when you want to sell that rifle!! Mark yiphowl@hotmail.com

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 110FP with a 24" heavy barrel.

My 120 grain Nosler Partition Deer load is with 49 grains of IMR 4350, CCI 200 primers and an OAL 3.250". I get a muzzle velocity (Chronograph) of 3008 FPS. and a .75" 3 shot groups

For varmint I intend to use the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I use 51 grains of IMR 4350 with CCI200 primers with an OAL of 3.250". I get .5 inch 3 shot groups with a muzzle velocity of 3167 FPS.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's my favorite right now, so i'd better not let her go. Reminds me a lot of that "cherry gun" I saw on another thread.

I did see another 700 BDL Varmint, 1992, NIB at gibrass.com

Go to the misc tab at the top of the page, then scroll to the bottom of the misc page. I think he's asking around $625. Good luck.