Find
Notify
Tools

H116 - anybody use it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I have a lot of H116 and I intended to use it for 7.62x39. I contacted Hodgdon and they only have one load for it and luckly it was for the 7.62x39. Does anyone use H116 for other cartridges such as .223 Rem, .221 Fireball, or others? Does anyone know where it falls in burn rate with other popular powders?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Old elk hunter Hodgdon should be able to give an approx burn rate or you might compare loads that achive the same velocity using the same amount of grains. I bought about 10 lbs of H5010 a few years back at $5.00 per pound it is slooooow burning but it wa sworth the chance buying it. It works ok in the .300 win mag at about 24000 lbs of preasure at 2100 fps with a 200 grain bullet not speedy but it shoots. Wink

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H116 allegedly is WW680 sold to Hodgdon by Win, after they dropped it from their lineup. My use of it indicates that is likely true, but a good source of info is Powder Valley Supply, who sells H116.
It is good for light bullet loads in the Fireball; also good for the Hornet. Lots of data out there for WW680.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
If the 7.62 X 39mm had become so popular sooner, W-680 would probably still be around. Some feel it is the best powder for the cartridge. Burn rate is between VV N130 and and Norma N200, which is followed by AA 1680, which is most often used as a replacement powder. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote