Find
Notify
Tools

M1a 168 hpbt winter load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Had some outstanding groups with Hornady 168HPBT and 44gr BLC2. This doesn't group as well in the summer.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
BLC2 was origanally a military powder.
I have used it in a .308 and in .243 and had mixed results in the .243 where the .308 didnt matter.
Varget is suspose to be a better temperature sensitive powder.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richj is on target here, I stumbled across this exact load about a year ago and it is one of the best 308 loads going. jbok

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I use 44 gr of WC846 which in non-canister grade BLC-2 and love it. I shoot 150 gr Woodleigh and 168 gr Sierras to exactly the same POI in a bolt gun. Haven't seen variation in grouping from temp changes.

Varget shoots tighter groups in my gun all else equal but not enough to matter in the field.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H 4895, Varget, and Reloder 15 are designed for good low weather performance and will work within the pressure and cycling restrictions of your rifle.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote