Tools

500 S&W Magnum - Favorite load data 350 - 400 gr
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
Favorite load data for 500 S&W Magnum:

https://docs.google.com/spread..._niXQF2vzk70S2KQBG_E

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I tested subsonic load:

Ares 400gr HC coated bullet, COAL the same as for other loads with this bullet (see link in previous post), S&B LR primer and 15 grains of VV N32C Tin Star (cowboy action shooting low density powder). It gives 1063 fps, SD is about 15 fps (five shots). Really no recoil and it is in 44 Mag territory. Kids can shoot that.

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I noticed some misfires with S&B primers. Never ever any misfire with both CCI or Federal so far (about 300 rounds fired). Will not use S&B anymore.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Update:

S&B primers OK, but must be seated by hand primer completely down in the primer pocket.

Jiri

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
S&B primers are oversized and S&B brass is undersize pockets.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
With undersized pockets in some calibers, I have to agree.

I am not sure how much are primers oversized. I can measure them. I believe it could be lot to lot. Also in the same lot, there are some "easy" going and another "not so easy" with the same lot of brass.

Jiri