New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 RUM Load development
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to the range this morning(finally after 3 months) to start load development on my rifle.

These loads are more along the lines of the kinetic energy a 358 Norma(uneducated guess), since I really do not have the need to load 300gr bullets to 2900fps yet.

C.O.L. 3.550
Bullet: Northfork 250SS
Brass: Rem Brass all trimmed to 2.845
Primer: Fed 215
Powder: RL22

I have loaded groups of 5 with powder weights going from 90 to 94 grains @ 1 grain increments. The 90 grain load is about 10% lower than the starting load in the Swift manual for 250 A Frames. As most of you know, Northforks require less powder by around 5 to 8% to achieve same velocities as normal shanked bullets.

I will post again later on with results(If I can get through all of the rounds that is).

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so the range was CLOSED today, nothing like burning a half tank of gas going there and back for nothing...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all I have data for is 2 shots of the 91gr loads, the chrono was being a pain...

#1: 2594fps
#2 2625fps

I have some issues to deal with as far as my rifle having a tight throat, but besides that I will post more as soon as I get an outside neck turner, and my own Chrono...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally have pics, and what seems to be a decent load. All of em are 3 shot groups except for the third group, that one is missing a shot. The guy right next to me was using the same shoot n c's so whatever. I have to shoot the 98.5 again to get the real group, but the two that are there almost look like one, they are touching. Either way, the group @ 98.2 was real nice. A tad over 1 inch.
98.0 Grains

98.2 Grains

98.5 Grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
heres another group with 98.2. I really have to shoot this over a chrono to see what is really goin on. I'll bet I am going faster than what I was originally trying to accomplish. Got a bit carried away with finding max pressure(never did get there). The "fliers" are not fliers, those are sighting shots. I had to take off my scope that morning since it was moving in teh rings to wipe the insides down with brake cleaner to get out the oil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gixxer,what kind of rifle are you using? Are you shooting at 100yds?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rifle is a 2001 Rem 700 ABG(old stock style with the barrel band swivel), and yes the shots are @ 100yd.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update. 98.2gr RL22, seated the bullets longer till they barely fit in the mag box. That ended up to be 3.670, .058 off the lands. All shots touched! Almost a cloverleaf, but not quite. No pic, no digi camera. Had to give it back to MOM!! Guess you can say this thread is dead, load development accomplished for this round. More to come with Nosler partitions, and NF 270's and 300's.