Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H with 300gr Barnes-X
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
Anybody have sweet load they can share. I have tried RL15, varget, 4064, & H414 and none groups well with the 300gr Barnes bullet. I don't think it's the gun because 300gr Hornady's group well under 1".

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1245 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you played with the loading depth? Barnes bullets need a bit more running room before hittng the lands to be happy.

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Yes I have, it doesn't seem to get much better. I can get about a 2-3" group but cannot consistantly get under that.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1245 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
try w-760 powder I found this powder to be very effective in the 375,also the TXS is cosistently a more accurate bullet than the plain X- bullet

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brain1

Did you try RELOADERNEST.COM they have many loads for the 375 or anything.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4350 is probably the classic powder for 375

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,
Try 77gr 760 w/a CCI250 mag primer. Gives right at 2550 in a Win Mod 70 Safari grade. Last Oct it went thru about 4ft of buffalo in Mozambique and the TSX was picture perfect on recovery.
Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes X are often inaccurate. I would start by varying seating depth. If that does not work, then I would switch over to North Forks. http://www.northforkbullets.com

favorite .375 load:

68 grains Reloader 15
F215 primer
WW brass
300 grain bullet

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500grains:

You may be right about the standard Barnes "X" but my experience with the TSX is much different. Been using the TSX in 308win, 30-378 and 338-378 wthby., 375 H&H, 416Rigby, 458 Lott and they as accurate as one could hope for in a hunting bullet. While the groove TSX design may not be a true driving band bullet...they are very accurate and work well.

I am with you on North Fork...great bullets!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Thank guys for the help, I finally found one my rifle likes.
61 gr. Varget
I seated the bullet back until I got the results I wanted. I am getting about 5/8" off the sled.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

posted Hide Post
I also like Varget, I shot a Buff. in Zimbabwe last july with a 300 gr. Barnes TXS ahead of 69 gr. of Varget it does an honest 2500 F.P.S. chronographed from a 24" barrel. This is a pretty stout load so work up to it carefuly. I wasn't able to get the velocity out of the other recomended powders. My rifle will shoot the TXS into an inch, but doesn't do well with the regular X bullets. I'd like to hear more comments on Varget in the .375 it works for me

Posts: 63 | Location: Fla. | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be a little late, but all loads in my .375 shot significantly tighter groups when I switched to standard primers. Specifically, I swithed to Fed. 210M's. These even worked better than Fed. 215M's. Also, my groups got better with the tripple shocks too. Hope this helps.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ishopper:

I recently posted on another forum about the use of regular LR primers versus mag primers. Interested in hearing more about your findings. email me direct at rslus@hotmail.com

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote