New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 auto rimmed loads for 625 S&W
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a S&W 625 Jerry Miculick revolver. I'm sure that the loads that I have worked up for the 1911 colt that I had will work fine in this revolver with the full moon clips, but I have aquired 600 new 45 auto rimmed casings that will be a pleasure to use as well. The head of the auto rimmed casings looks very strong. They are PMC match ammo that are factory Match loads. I believe that these casings and the 625 S&W revolver may make for a strong shooting unit with loads that may be higher in pressure then the 45 auto loads used in the 1911. Have any of you tried working with this combo, or have any suggestions. I'm not trying to make this into a 45 auto rimmed mag, but rather up the hand loadings to a little over 1000 fps with a 200 to 225 grain bullet. I would like to hear what you have to say.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Sendaro, you are just wasting your time.
Send me that revolver. Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you will want this one right away! I bought it new in the box from a dealer in Albany New York. Got the revolver home and went over it before test firing. While cleaning the revolver ( they don't bother to clean the guns after test firing them at S&W, but rather ship them out as is)I noticed some thing very strange. The barrel was not in alignment with the frame! No it was not screwed in too far or not far enough, but rather the barrel pointed to the right as it extends from the frame. I called S&W and got the CS Dept on te horn. They told me to test fire the revolver before I returned it. So I took it out to my lab and post a target at 25-yards. The rear sight was measured with calipers to make sure that it was center of the frame, and left in that setting for the testing. The ammo used in testing was federal Match 45 auto and PMC 45 auto rimmed match. The revolver was fired from a sandbag rest using a two hand hold. I'm not new to handguns. I've been shooting them and hunting with them for the past 38 years. I won dozens of pistol matches and killed 26 head of big game with handguns. I'm making this statement to asure you that I know what to do when I'm behind a handgun. I fired two groups at the 25-yard target with the ammo mentioned, and they both printed 5" to the right. This revolver has a major problem! It would appear that the align bore is way out of wack! Keep in mind that 5" translates into 20" at 100-yards! I called S&W and told them what had happened when I test fired the revolver. They were kind enough to send me a pre-paid shipping label, and the revolver was shipped back to them. I contacted S&W today and they assured me that the problem has been corrected, and that the revolver is on its way back to me. I have no idea how a revolver frame that was drilled and threaded out of alignment for the barrel can be corrected without replacing the frame! However they assured me that it has been corrected and on its way back. Here is what I plan to do when the revolver makes it back to my 20. First a visual inspection, and second a brass rod of .445 to .446 dia. will be turned with a sharp centered point at 40 to 60 degree formed on the end. I will pass the rod from the muzzle into the barrel to see if it ligns up with the firing pin. If all is in alignment the brass rod should contact the center of the firing pin hole in the recoil shield. What do you want to bet that it won't lign up? I truly hope that I'm wrong! However I have learned to have little faith in factory production firearms with the exception of a few manufactures. Never in the history of firearms manufacturing has there been so many manufactures, and never has there been so much junk on the market! It all boils down to one thing MONEY! I don't mind spending the money if I can get quality. Let's see what they send me back. The best of the makers can make a mistake from time to time, but they will also fix it and make thing right with the consumer. If they have I will voice the praise they have earned, and if they haven't they have bought one big bad piece of advertisement.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro.

I had a Model 686 with the same misalignment problem. It went back to Smith & Wesson. Sure enough, when the revolver came back they had corrected the barrel/frame misalignment. I don't know how they do it but I thought this might help make you feel a little better about it. Of course, the true test with yours will be when you get it back.

Cheers....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, thanks for the words of encouragement. I'd like to believe that it will be fixed, but remaim sceptical. It should be back today or tomorrow. When it gets back I will carry out my plan and see what they have done. The alignment rod will show the truth of the matter, and test firing. I will post the results here no matter what they maybe.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Sendaro, I've got a Model 25 and a Model 625 and load for both the ACP round and Auto Rim round. Assuming your revolver is back and functioning correctly, I think you'll find that most loading manuals say either to load the same as the ACP or just slightly less powerful. The problem is not the strength of the modern revolver but perhaps there were some issues with 1917 models from Colt and S&W, for which the cartridge was originally developed. I have never tried to make a +P load with the Auto Rim cartridge and since it wasn't designed to do so it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 625 came back from S&W today. The barrel is on stright! At 25-yards the first shot went into the 10 ring. I will have to continue the test that I plan to do with the alignment rod, and report on it. Looks like they got the job done right. Testing will tell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro,

Well, at least things are off to a good start!! Thanks for the update. Let us know how the alignment rod test goes. But, things are looking good so far.

Cheers,
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to buy a 325 S&W, and that gun is a man killer, as in killing the shooter! Sheesh, recoil is vicious, even with "target" loads in .45 AR cases.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote